Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why are Newer Hosts on QVC?

@onlyshopsonline

Her name is Mary Nelson. Her voice makes me crazy.  I totally agree.  Kristine Zell is the one with the poof on her head.  She had her hands full the other morning with Dennis Basso.  He is so loud and rude.  She is slow. She has to learned to move things along.  She forgets to go thru colors, etc 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

My guess is that the two newer channels need their fair share of the experienced and well followed hosts because they are building a following and viewership. People will more likely tune in to watch the newer stations if they hosts and vendors they love and like to watch are on there. If the new channels were just the newbie hosts, the channels wouldn't generate the sales needed to keep then on.

Bingo, @Mominohio. I think you hit the nail on the head, and your reasoning is perfect.

They used Alberti on the Beauty channel long enough to get it off to a good start. I notice now they move Alberti around where needed most. They're doing the same with their best hosts, moving where they can get more sales.

I think Q2 is not very worthwhile as they show mostly repeats of the Q, with just a few new shows and a Deal of the Day, which isn't that great.

It's too bad the PTB has no intention of putting any thought into just improving the Q first. Too much money going into new channels and not enough importance put into improvements.

Honored Contributor

@febe1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

My guess is that the two newer channels need their fair share of the experienced and well followed hosts because they are building a following and viewership. People will more likely tune in to watch the newer stations if they hosts and vendors they love and like to watch are on there. If the new channels were just the newbie hosts, the channels wouldn't generate the sales needed to keep then on.

Bingo, @Mominohio. I think you hit the nail on the head, and your reasoning is perfect.

They used Alberti on the Beauty channel long enough to get it off to a good start. I notice now they move Alberti around where needed most. They're doing the same with their best hosts, moving where they can get more sales.

I think Q2 is not very worthwhile as they show mostly repeats of the Q, with just a few new shows and a Deal of the Day, which isn't that great.

It's too bad the PTB has no intention of putting any thought into just improving the Q first. Too much money going into new channels and not enough importance put into improvements.

@febe1

I'm still holding out hope that when they really get Q2 up and running (there is now more live programing than when it first began. At first, it was just repeats running like two or three hours after the QVC original airing), we will be able to tune into Q and Q2 and find totally different programming offered at the same hour. 

Right now, often you will see the exact same type of merchandise airing on both channels (like both showing fashion at the same time) and even the exact same item on both channels (different programs, but same item, especially the TSV). 

I would love to tune in and if one channel has fashion, the other has home decor. If one has handbags, the other has garden items, if one has shoes, the other has electronics. 

I just don't get how sometimes all three channels have beauty going for a whole hour (different programs but three channels of beauty, all at once. With one whole channel dedicated to beauty, this should never happen.

Variety in programming among the channels at any given time would net them more viewers (translated to buyers) I would think.

And eventually all live programming on the two channels would be great too.

Esteemed Contributor

@lousgirl84 wrote:

@onlyshopsonline

Her name is Mary Nelson. Her voice makes me crazy.  I totally agree.  Kristine Zell is the one with the poof on her head.  She had her hands full the other morning with Dennis Basso.  He is so loud and rude.  She is slow. She has to learned to move things along.  She forgets to go thru colors, etc 

I agree, @Teddixat: he gave her a fit and threw her off. When you're with Dennis, you've just got to let him go. If not, he'll run over you.

Trusted Contributor

Hi. I'm not sure of the names of the new hosts but one has a voice that grates, yet what she says is really good. But I see that most are quite young (maybe in their 20s) and, QVC's demographics being what they are, I wonder if that's also a strategy. Be prepared for senior hosts moving on, but also do what you can to increase numbers of younger customers. That would be smart business! But it's just a thought.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@febe1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@febe1

I'm still holding out hope that when they really get Q2 up and running (there is now more live programing than when it first began. At first, it was just repeats running like two or three hours after the QVC original airing), we will be able to tune into Q and Q2 and find totally different programming offered at the same hour. 

Right now, often you will see the exact same type of merchandise airing on both channels (like both showing fashion at the same time) and even the exact same item on both channels (different programs, but same item, especially the TSV). 

I would love to tune in and if one channel has fashion, the other has home decor. If one has handbags, the other has garden items, if one has shoes, the other has electronics. 

I just don't get how sometimes all three channels have beauty going for a whole hour (different programs but three channels of beauty, all at once. With one whole channel dedicated to beauty, this should never happen.

Variety in programming among the channels at any given time would net them more viewers (translated to buyers) I would think.

And eventually all live programming on the two channels would be great too.

@Mominohio, I've noticed over the years the Q has good ideas, but when they implement they just let them flop. I saw that with the lunchtime specials. They could have done a lot with it and really made it something special. I stopped even looking.

IMO, it looks like the Q has the money and ideas but not enough good people to concentrate and make the good idea bear fruit. That's just poor management.

I've also noticed how sometimes all three channels have the same thing on. The same as you, I think what a waste that is. I guess we'll see when their financial statements come out how successful they've been.

I hope the best for the Q's long-time success and would hate to see it's demise.

Super Contributor

on the bright side ,soon thsee hosts will be your old hosts and many will have some comments about the newer ppl . I find a lot of the older hosts flat in affect , or insincere , like they are just going through the motions ,telling us to go to the website for the size chart. Others joke so much a most themselves the presentations get no information just a bunch of giggles. Many talk about person style or items owned or pets . I want to know about fabrication, sizes colors etc. So to each his or her own !!!
New Contributor

I wish that the new hosts names were somewhere on QVC.com with their picture. How can you praise  a new host if you don't know their names. I don't care for the one that just had a baby she is unprepared maybe because she missed so much time. I do like the 2 dark haired girls. I think one is Courtney  (she is very well prepared) and Cathy who is also very well prepared. Hope I got their names right. There was another dark haired girl at the beginning of the new group but haven't seen her in a long time.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fashionistasincebirth wrote:
on the bright side ,soon thsee hosts will be your old hosts and many will have some comments about the newer ppl . I find a lot of the older hosts flat in affect , or insincere , like they are just going through the motions ,telling us to go to the website for the size chart. Others joke so much a most themselves the presentations get no information just a bunch of giggles. Many talk about person style or items owned or pets . I want to know about fabrication, sizes colors etc. So to each his or her own !!!

I think a host's job is like a teacher's job in that they should have a sabbatical. It's a burn-out job, and time off every seven years to "renew" themselves would help both the host and customer. I would hate to do that job over and over and over for 20 or 30 years....

I am just an old woman and homebound and watch QVC alot.  They do a good job by making them seem like they are your friends and I consider the hosts my friends.  But QVC (the Business) is not a Church or religious organization.  They are a business and do business things.  You can google hosts names that have left and read "stories".  Some blogs tell their departing story without mentioning their name but you can tell who they are talking about.  When a host is there one day- and gone the next, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what happened.  Business people use business language and will say "She has decided to move on to other things".  Then why don't they throw a party for them like they did for Dan Hughes and Lisa Robertson.  People like Aubrey Irvin, Jackie Gonzales, and the Kitchaid lady.  I know they remove posts on here left and right so I will not say anymore.  But when they do mean things like that to their hosts it makes me not want to buy anything from them anymore.