Honored Contributor

Re: Why an item can't be cancelled

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Do other retailers allow orders to be cancelled after you finalize the order?

@RollTide2008 

Some places I shop do give varying time limits to cancel after placing an order.

But some do not at all.  And some might be able to be cancelled but you have to call their customer service to do so.

So, in my experience it just depends on the retailer.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips Don's 'splain!  Just stuff a Christmas present in the pouches, string some ribbon and tie a bow and it's wrapping!!!!!  Woman Very Happy

How clever of you to incorporate useful things for wrapping!  Creative and eco-friendly!  Woman Wink  Rather than explain put on a big grin and say "I knew it would make you happy!"

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Puppy Lips Don's 'splain!  Just stuff a Christmas present in the pouches, string some ribbon and tie a bow and it's wrapping!!!!!  Woman Very Happy

How clever of you to incorporate useful things for wrapping!  Creative and eco-friendly!  Woman Wink  Rather than explain put on a big grin and say "I knew it would make you happy!"

@Sooner Oh gosh, thank you for the idea!  I would have never thought of that.  My sister would have though.  She got the creative gene between us.  I struggle to do the simplest creative things, lol.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@12andcounting   You are absolutely correct!!

They get your money when they ship and then they get the S&H when you return in most cases.

From the massive amount of these transactions happening, the interest alone they earn while they have the money is enough to call a side business.

To me, it is no secret.

Honored Contributor

Macys gives you 30 minutes to cancel.

Talbots- no cancellation.

Many many retailers, no cancellation. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I understand that shoppers get buyers remorse. It's normal. I shop at a variety of online stores. NONE allow cancellation several hours later. HSN allows until midnight. If you shop at 11:50 PM, you still only have 10 minutes to cancel. The most common ones I shop allow 30 minutes. 

My advice is to make sure when you click that Place Order button, you have done your research and are comfortable enough that you will not feel the need to cancel. I make sure I have no reservations prior to completing the purchase. Then, I let it go. I don't check what the current order process is, it gets here when it gets here. I won't buy from any online stores if I need the item within a day or two. Even with Amazon, I recently ordered something that was to arrive 2 days later. It took 10 days. Don't feel pressured, these hosts love to tell you how many are sold and hurry up so you don't miss your color or design choice. More often than not, I have gone back to those items hours later and lo and behold, every option is still available. 

Super Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

@Kitty Galore 

@Kitty Galore wrote:
Ordered the TSV Mr. Christmas yesterday and had second thoughts about it a few hours later when I noticed on the white tree the antlers on the reindeer were black which I don't like , they should be either brown which is the actual color or even gold to match the trim on the saddle makes no sense so I decided to cancel and couldn't stating item is in process and cannot be cancelled . It makes no sense it wasn't even that long at all in between ordering and trying to cancel plus items do often take days and days to ship so I don't understand the not being able to cancel the same day 🤔 Why can't there be some kind of grace period . I understand if it were 3 days later , but hours ?? 😏

They have always done this and it doesn't make sense. I cut way back on shopping here and have to make sure.  HSN gives you until midnight EST. to cancel.  They are much better to shop.

I can remember years ago canceling orders with the Q up to 24 hours after placing the order. That was several years ago, though. Sure miss that option.

Respected Contributor

@Kitty Galore wrote:
Ordered the TSV Mr. Christmas yesterday and had second thoughts about it a few hours later when I noticed on the white tree the antlers on the reindeer were black which I don't like , they should be either brown which is the actual color or even gold to match the trim on the saddle makes no sense so I decided to cancel and couldn't stating item is in process and cannot be cancelled . It makes no sense it wasn't even that long at all in between ordering and trying to cancel plus items do often take days and days to ship so I don't understand the not being able to cancel the same day 🤔 Why can't there be some kind of grace period . I understand if it were 3 days later , but hours ?? 😏

My husband has been in IT for 40 years.  And this in particular, shopping, website, etc. is what he has done.  I've mentioned this to him many times of the years that you can't cancel a QVC order even if it was 5 minutes later.  He's always says the same thing, "there is no reason why you can't or shouldn't be able to cancel an order whether it be on your own via their website or calling customer service."  They either don't have or want the sofrware to do it or they do have the software and either don't know how to do it or don't want to.  

Esteemed Contributor

item shipped and once I opened the box to get the invoice to send back I saw that the whole bottom part that has the rod to put the Santa and reindeer was unglued .  Obviously the glue loosened up and was just not attached any longer 

had to go through the trouble of sending back plus print the invoice as there wasn't one 😠.  Not happy .  If only they let me cancel .   I put damaged for reason of return so I will check to make sure I'm not charged return shipping either.  

from now on I'm going try to be doubly sure I want the item before I click purchase 🤨

Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
Do other retailers allow orders to be cancelled after you finalize the order?

@RollTide2008 

Yep, Amazon does, I found a better deal elsewhere and went back much later that day I was able to cancel my Amazon order.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”