Super Contributor

Why all the black gem settings?

It just drains all the color from the stones.

Honored Contributor

Re: Why all the black gem settings?

I have just a few rings in black settings, each set with small diamonds.  I love them.

And now that they sold out of my size of Judith's multi-gemstone cuff (thank heavens), I really might just buy the ring with its spinel and colored stones.  Still deciding.

Honored Contributor

Black goes with all your diffent button metals on your jackets.

Respected Contributor

@excpa  I agree.  The only way I like black is when they sometimes use the pave black spinels to surround a nice bright gemstone.  I have an Ethiopian opal ring like that and an ametrine ring.  The the black stones really bring out the colors of the lighter gemstones that are in the center. What I don't care for is when they use black metal (prongs) to set colored gemstones.  IMO it males them look dark and dull......kind of Gothic!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Because it's black spinel and it's cheap.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Some people feel it enhances the gemstones.  At least it's something "different" and black spinel is very sparkly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Peyton Kelly, QVC's diamond buyer, stated yesterday that they use dark settings because it allows the gems to show their true color.  If they used shiny silver, gold or platinum behind or against the gems it would fiercely compete for color clarity.  When the designers work with pave or other cluster settings they want to let the gem be the showcase.  That was his explanation anyway.

Honored Contributor

I love my black gems set in gold.  Gorgeous.