Occasional Contributor

Re: Why? Still having multiple hosts on shows…

Back in the day when I enjoyed watching qvc there was only one host doing each show, they didnt have to have the inventor or the person who developed a certain line if clothing or anyone, it was just one host to do the entire show and I really enjoyed watching. Maybe if the company would go back to basics all of these people would not have to be laid off, I am quite sure sll of the head ceo’s and others in the penthouse offices didnt lose their jobs. I knew qvc was going to go downhill when they took over Hsn, I havent ordered as much as I used to and will most likely will order even less from here on out. People who have given everything to their job should not just be let go, there one day and gone the next.!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@misschristy    QVC management sees the sales figures and can best judge what formula generates the most activity.  The responsibility to stockholders is on them so don't spend your time worrying about it. 

@Kachina624 

QVC got sued over host's schedules and preferred time slot schedules (the lawsuit stated hard to make sales when they wew assigned in the middle of the night or wee morning hours.) And in an interview an Executive said, sales come in to play only for host's salary raises and bonuses.......the host's are on salaried contracts.....no commission either......

@Spurt    Yes, I remember that but we're talking about two host shows.

Are you supposed to get this cold front that's racing across the country?  We had 3" of snow this morning and a high in 30s today. 

@Kachina624 

To me two hosts shows most likely arent gonna boost their financial picture and just make the show more expensive to produce so I dont understand why 2 salaries versus one.....SMH!

Yep, we already got the cooler front....we went from upper 80's to now mid 50's for the high/40's for the low and some rain...... it wont creep back to low 80's until next Wednesday with more rain we really need it

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@misschristy wrote:

If things are so tight financially that they have to lay off Carolyn and all those other employees, why are they still having shows with two hosts?  I could see occasionally on a special show but not the constant Courney and Jane shows.  Shoe shows, fashion shows.  Do they think the viewers are stupid?  I know this has probably been discussed but I cannot stop

bringing it up.  Courtney is a very capable host by herself.  Jane - well someone in management likes her style.  Not me.  I skip all her shows. But if Jane is capable enough to keep on board, then she should be alone in her shows.  

Hosts are on contract, they are not paid by the hour.

I don't understand what "on contract" means, are you saying they are not employed by QVC, they are self-employed working on a contract?    Then why does QVC offer some early retirement, incentives, etc?  People who are on contract don't have those benefits. 

My guess is once hosts get past their probation, they are full-time employees of QVC, with all of the retirement, health benefits, etc.  

@Bhvbum 

The hosts are employed by QVC with a contract for a specific salary for a certain length of time, and when the contract is up QVC decides whether they want to renew the host's contract.  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

@SamBrown wrote:

I think having a rep for just about every product is overkill.

I'd rather have the Vendor Rep and NO host!  LOL

They know the products so much better and IF allowed to get a word in edgewise, would give us the info we really want!

Agree!  Get rid of ALL the hosts and let the vendors sell their products.  Make it a true SHOPPING channel and not some pseudo-entertainment channel.

Esteemed Contributor

I would forget about ever going back to one host. It's almost set in stone now. The Q obviously did the necessary research to find out there is more interest and more viewing when two hosts sell. What they never figured out was in what way should the two hosts be together. That's the kicker.

Should one be loud and the other quiet? Should one be disliked and one liked? Should they both be equally strong sellers? Should one sing and the other dance? Smiley Happy

There's more work involved in figuring out "which" two hosts than just throwing spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks. 

Frequent Contributor

It is hard not to believe the studies about multiple hosts are wrong and the people at the top have never sold a product in their entire life. My experience has been the better the presentation, the more honest you are, and the stronger a connection you make with people then the higher the sales. And what is with clicking on a video description of a QVC kitchen product and getting a recipe demonstration with no mention of the product? I am either officially old or Q doesn't know a thing about sales.
Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@misschristy wrote:

If things are so tight financially that they have to lay off Carolyn and all those other employees, why are they still having shows with two hosts?  I could see occasionally on a special show but not the constant Courney and Jane shows.  Shoe shows, fashion shows.  Do they think the viewers are stupid?  I know this has probably been discussed but I cannot stop

bringing it up.  Courtney is a very capable host by herself.  Jane - well someone in management likes her style.  Not me.  I skip all her shows. But if Jane is capable enough to keep on board, then she should be alone in her shows.  

I don't understand what "on contract" means, are you saying they are not employed by QVC, they are self-employed working on a contract?    Then why does QVC offer some early retirement, incentives, etc?  People who are on contract don't have those benefits. 

My guess is once hosts get past their probation, they are full-time employees of QVC, with all of the retirement, health benefits, etc.  

@Bhvbum   You're thinking of Independent contractors who are different from employees who sign an employment contract/agreement with their employer.  

Think of sports figures, newscasters, attorneys in private firms, and thousands of other types of jobs.  They sign an employment agreement, or employment contract, after they've been offered the job. 

It spells out the binding terms, and includes any and all insurance, retirement offerings/401K, terms of employment, vacations, nondisclosure agreements, ownership agreements (i.e., QVC owns Studio Park, not the individual hosts who collaborated their line; QVC owns the seemingly defunct GILI, not Lisa Robertson or Jill Martin, etc.), etc.  

Depending on the company's specific language, it can even say things like, "you're employed as long as you contribute % above X in sales."  You can be sure, the employment agreement/contract includes language for grounds for termination, or corporate lay-off decisions.

I have worked for a large number of big corporations and people who were hourly and paid overtime were called non-exempt, those who did not get overtime etc., we're always called "exempt".  These were critical distinctions in any company for union membership, etc.

The only time people used the term "contract" was for self-employed employees working as "contractors."   Of course everybody who is a full-time employee has an "employment contract," but that doesn't mean that they are called contractors. Or at least they never were at the places I worked. 

Respected Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@misschristy wrote:

@Bhvbum   You're thinking of Independent contractors who are different from employees who sign an employment contract/agreement with their employer.  

Think of sports figures, newscasters, attorneys in private firms, and thousands of other types of jobs.  They sign an employment agreement, or employment contract, after they've been offered the job. 

It spells out the binding terms, and includes any and all insurance, retirement offerings/401K, terms of employment, vacations, nondisclosure agreements, ownership agreements (i.e., QVC owns Studio Park, not the individual hosts who collaborated their line; QVC owns the seemingly defunct GILI, not Lisa Robertson or Jill Martin, etc.), etc.  

Depending on the company's specific language, it can even say things like, "you're employed as long as you contribute % above X in sales."  You can be sure, the employment agreement/contract includes language for grounds for termination, or corporate lay-off decisions.

When anybody use the term "contract or contractors" to describe employees I think of those people who are self-employed. There was no one else in the number of companies I worked for that were described as contractors, except those people who were self-employed.  

And everyone else was either exempt, which means they did not get paid overtime, we're paid a salary, etc., and non-exempt and which means they did, and worked hourly. 

I said it was my understanding that the hosts of QVC were employees of QVC, and that they were not self-employed contractors. 

Occasional Contributor

Courtney happens to be an excellent host. When she was doing the Saturday night Kim gravel show, she was selling out everything in the hour. Jane Tracy doesn't give anyone else a chance to talk. Personally I'm tired about hearing that she's sixty one years old and about her two daughters.

Totally agree that Jane can be gone.   She talks too fast etc.   For that matter many of them talk way too fast and recently many hosts are talking over the vendor guests.   And if so financially strapped, letting 2 go and hiring 4 new hosts? ??   Who's thinking about this?   I think Jane still is on cuz David likes her.   He's the only one I watch cuz he's entertaining and it's fun.   Not impressed by the new ones and TJ especially can just go home.