Respected Contributor

Re: Why? Still having multiple hosts on shows…

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@misschristy wrote:

If things are so tight financially that they have to lay off Carolyn and all those other employees, why are they still having shows with two hosts?  I could see occasionally on a special show but not the constant Courney and Jane shows.  Shoe shows, fashion shows.  Do they think the viewers are stupid?  I know this has probably been discussed but I cannot stop

bringing it up.  Courtney is a very capable host by herself.  Jane - well someone in management likes her style.  Not me.  I skip all her shows. But if Jane is capable enough to keep on board, then she should be alone in her shows.  

Hosts are on contract, they are not paid by the hour.

I don't understand what "on contract" means, are you saying they are not employed by QVC, they are self-employed working on a contract?    Then why does QVC offer some early retirement, incentives, etc?  People who are on contract don't have those benefits. 

My guess is once hosts get past their probation, they are full-time employees of QVC, with all of the retirement, health benefits, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

They could use a digitalized "person" using flash cards as host, and use mannequins as "models".   

Yes, get rid of all the hosts, have a voice over describing the product but keep the models!!

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum   I remember one time when Jill Bauer in talking about another QVC host said she decided not to renew her contract.  I'm assuming they work for QVC but unlike a typical employee, they work under the terms of a contract.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@misschristy wrote:

If things are so tight financially that they have to lay off Carolyn and all those other employees, why are they still having shows with two hosts?  I could see occasionally on a special show but not the constant Courney and Jane shows.  Shoe shows, fashion shows.  Do they think the viewers are stupid?  I know this has probably been discussed but I cannot stop

bringing it up.  Courtney is a very capable host by herself.  Jane - well someone in management likes her style.  Not me.  I skip all her shows. But if Jane is capable enough to keep on board, then she should be alone in her shows.  

Hosts are on contract, they are not paid by the hour.

I don't understand what "on contract" means, are you saying they are not employed by QVC, they are self-employed working on a contract?    Then why does QVC offer some early retirement, incentives, etc?  People who are on contract don't have those benefits. 

My guess is once hosts get past their probation, they are full-time employees of QVC, with all of the retirement, health benefits, etc.  

@Bhvbum   You're thinking of Independent contractors who are different from employees who sign an employment contract/agreement with their employer.  

Think of sports figures, newscasters, attorneys in private firms, and thousands of other types of jobs.  They sign an employment agreement, or employment contract, after they've been offered the job. 

It spells out the binding terms, and includes any and all insurance, retirement offerings/401K, terms of employment, vacations, nondisclosure agreements, ownership agreements (i.e., QVC owns Studio Park, not the individual hosts who collaborated their line; QVC owns the seemingly defunct GILI, not Lisa Robertson or Jill Martin, etc.), etc.  

Depending on the company's specific language, it can even say things like, "you're employed as long as you contribute % above X in sales."  You can be sure, the employment agreement/contract includes language for grounds for termination, or corporate lay-off decisions.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum 

Contract usualy means similar to salary.

Salaried employees are not paid by the hour NOR do they usually receive overtime.

They usually are expected to work more hours than 40...UNLESS their contract stipulates otherwise.

However, they can still save costs by letting some of these 'extra baggage' hosts go when their contracts are up!!

If they are under contract now, they use them.

There are some double hosts that work SO well together...Pat and Jayne, Pat and Dan for example (IMHO)

I agree the majority of these pairings are AWFUL and unnecessary and I don't watch Tuesday nights at all and never watch Saturday Morning Q anymore = NO buying.

Having said that....just cuz we complain about it here doesn't mean QVC PTB agree OR have to listen to us!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Courtney stands there and is just a "yes" person as Jane does all the talking. The OP is right; if the budget is so tight and they had to fire to veterans show hosts, then why are they still having two hosts per show? Especially when one does all the talking.

Honored Contributor

No one on these boards know the answer to your question.  A suggestion would be to write to corporate headquarters with your concern.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Courtney stands there and is just a "yes" person as Jane does all the talking. The OP is right; if the budget is so tight and they had to fire to veterans show hosts, then why are they still having two hosts per show? Especially when one does all the talking.

Most anyone and everyone who is on with Jane is going to be relegated to a "yes" person. Jane is not going to have it any other way!!! Although now that I think about it there is one host who when paired with Jane can give her a real run for her blabbing money. As Jill Bauer used to say, "enjoyable." Woman Wink

Contributor

Just my opinion! Jane and Courtney are not compatible at all. Their shows are a hot mess. Anyone else agree?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I order online and very much limit my viewing time since I can't stand all the goofy circus antics of various Hosts , however I did not know the Hosts get " points  " on any sales online or call in while they are on TV  as another poster mentioned in one of these  blogs.

So, even though I don't care for   most Hosts they must have derived points from my online orders .... bummer since I do not support Hosts acting so unprofessional