Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who was Qvc first ever celebrity host?

I think it was Kenneth Jay Lane
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@care giver wrote:

Quite sure I saw Ivana Trump selling jewelry.Could have been hsn though

@care giver Melania had a jewelry line. DT  had something too- maybe steaks?  I think one of his books too, I remember him 'eyeing' Lisa Robertson. Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ibby114 wrote:

@care giver wrote:

Quite sure I saw Ivana Trump selling jewelry.Could have been hsn though

@care giver Melania had a jewelry line. DT  had something too- maybe steaks?  I think one of his books too, I remember him 'eyeing' Lisa Robertson. Woman Frustrated

Trumps first wife, is it Ivanna? Well whatever her name, sold beautiful women's suits on HSN I believe. Wheel of Fortune letter turner Vanna White sold shoes.

Occasional Contributor

I recall Angie Dickinson. I believe she had a line of jewelry. It seemed  as if she did not enjoy the experience. On one of her appearances she referenced a late night poker game w/hosts and maybe crew. As others have mentioned, of course Kenneth J Lane. I remember "turqoooooise" was somewhat his moniker. He was a hoot and I so enjoyed....I recall a "on location" LA??? show w/Lonnie Anderson and her line of jewelry. Then hubby, Burt Renolds seemed to be taken w/then host Judy Crowell....AWKWARD!! Of course Joan and Bob Mackie, the gold standard for QVC. 

A early "celebrity" was "Tova" and her line of fragrance. I always enjoyed her sweet good night to her love, "Ernie",  (Ernest Borgnoine), and her mother. What a classy lady...and still remains so.....

As others mentioned, Diane Von Furstenburg, I believe the first true "designer" line of clothing.  (She had sold her line years earlier). And likely was now out of the non-compete time frame. Her items sold out in a heat beat. She seemed vexed to be selling on TV...she was never comfortable. A classic was w/Jane Treacy. A large, silk like  "designer" scarf was being sold (maybe "numbers" were not meeting expectations for the scarf). A lot of blah blah about a true "work of art".....Jane, in her exuberance and perhaps in a frenzy due to the "frozen" Ms Von Furstenburg, displayed the scarf on the couch and suggested this could be a throw or even framed. (Only Janie could come up w/this selling point). Ms Von Furstenburg eyed her coolly and suggested she had gone over the top (I cannot recall the verbiage). You got the drift...

There were, of course,  the "male" shows,  (or geared towards viewers/men into auto racing). Replicas of race cars, and sportswear was sold. This was a Dan Hughes thing.

And, of course Melania Trump. She had her line of jewelry, watches and possibly handbags and fragrance.