Respected Contributor

Re: Who was Qvc first ever celebrity host?

I think QVC was very fortunate that the early celebrity vendors like Joan Rivers and Bob Mackie brought well crafted items that help convince viewers to take a chance on buying from a shopping channel. And their likeability factor and connection with us every day folks was also a factor in getting viewers to reach for the phone.

I always sensed the respect Joan had for the viewers and her craft. I remember a bracelet she was describing broke at the clasp while handling it, and she immediately asked that the product be pulled from the air/inventory and that all purchases be refunded. She wasn’t so much embarrassed as disgusted with the manufacturer and said no piece of jewelry she sold would ever again be put in inventory until she approved it. That is a vendor I will buy from.

IMHO Kathy and Joan were an unbeatable team of high energy and salesmanship. They could crack me up yet I knew everything about that piece of jewelry, its inspiration, and quality craftsmanship. And it was done without overtalking, shrill voices, speed talking, or staring in monitors. Today often the silliness and nonsense is center stage, not the item for sale.

Trusted Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I think QVC was very fortunate that the early celebrity vendors like Joan Rivers and Bob Mackie brought well crafted items that help convince viewers to take a chance on buying from a shopping channel. And their likeability factor and connection with us every day folks was also a factor in getting viewers to reach for the phone.

I always sensed the respect Joan had for the viewers and her craft. I remember a bracelet she was describing broke at the clasp while handling it, and she immediately asked that the product be pulled from the air/inventory and that all purchases be refunded. She wasn’t so much embarrassed as disgusted with the manufacturer and said no piece of jewelry she sold would ever again be put in inventory until she approved it. That is a vendor I will buy from.

IMHO Kathy and Joan were an unbeatable team of high energy and salesmanship. They could crack me up yet I knew everything about that piece of jewelry, its inspiration, and quality craftsmanship. And it was done without overtalking, shrill voices, speed talking, or staring in monitors. Today often the silliness and nonsense is center stage, not the item for sale.

You are right about Kathy and Joan.  THEY were truly funny.  Kathy Levine had a great sense of humor all by herself.  And then put her and Joan together -- they were hilarious!  I still miss those good ole days on the Q. 

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@dooBdoo  Well, I've still heard Lee claim it to be himself, on many occasions!

I heard him say this on numerous shows. And the hosts occasionally mentioned it.

Trusted Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Here's an article from 2001, her start would've been in 1986:

" ...In fact, Sansone was the first guest host to tout her own product on the fledgling television network 15 years ago. QVC's buyer agreed with Sansone that "the girl with these tapes has great charisma, great personality," said QVC's Roger Elvin... "

(old.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20011204leslie1204fnp3.asp)

I found a site called 15 minute workout that said about her:

She was QVC’s first on-air guest and has made national TV appearances for the past 30 years

so you are right.  I had a couple of her walk in place workout tapes with round weights.

Honored Contributor

I heard Lee Sands say many times that he was the first vendor to present a product on QVC---his eelskin wallet.    Also, Mike Rowe (of Dirty Jobs) was a QVC host, not  a vendor.  That was before  I watched QVC.

Respected Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I heard Lee Sands say many times that he was the first vendor to present a product on QVC---his eelskin wallet.    Also, Mike Rowe (of Dirty Jobs) was a QVC host, not  a vendor.  That was before  I watched QVC.

Well that is what the title says. 

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Maybe Bob Mackie?  Or Joan Rivers with her jewelry.  Clothes came much later.  Diane Von Furstenberg (sp.?) was definitely an early vendor and as mentioned, probably a first.  There were a lot of designers who were on in the 90's. I watched the Fashion Channel in the early 1990's. My cable company carried that but not QVC even though it was one in the same. What about Kenneth Lane?  Wow, QVC should put a timeline on it's website to show who was on when.  That would be fun.  

@Jaspersmom

I was just starting my work career & needed a work wardrobe, purchased many of  Diane Von Furstenberg’s Italian knits.  Beautiful, and they served me well for years!  

Wish that type of quality were still available.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Leslie Sansone was the first vendor guest on the Q.

Great article & videoes @newname0!

According to that article and the videoes

Leslie Sansone was the first guest vendor on QVC.

The different hosts make a point of saying this in the videos Smiley Very Happy

It was a new concept for the Q and they made a big deal of it in the videoes.🎉🎉🎉

GREAT videos from the 80's, BTW, with the first QVC hosts! --

everybody you should use the link and watch for a Blast From The Past!

QVC's First On-Air Guest! | Walk at Home

"I still can’t believe that I hold this place in the history of QVC! What a journey I have had!

QVC was on the air for approximately one year (1987) when our video distribution company presented the QVC buyer at the time (Kim Patterson) with our (VHS) workout video titled WALK Aerobics! Our unique way to WALK for fitness in your own home without a treadmill or expensive equipment. You can WALK for MILES but stay right in front of your TV!

Ms. Patterson was just about to reject WALK Aerobics because she was concerned that it would be difficult for the host to describe. Was it walking around in your kitchen? What is Walk at Home?

Shelly Rudin, the representative at the video distribution company, pleaded to Ms. Patterson to let me show her how it worked and convinced her that it was a great product for the QVC audience. When Ms. Patterson allowed me to show her a demo, she became a WALK at Home believer instantly!

Ms. Patterson then went on to ask Joseph Segel, the founder of QVC, if I could go on-air with the host to demonstrate our walking workouts. He said YES!

Boy, let me tell you- my mission to get more people walking had made a major leap forward!! In my first appearance with the host Steve Bryant, we sold out in minutes! Mr. Segel and I met after that show and I think he had one of those “turning point” moments! The presentation of the product was more powerful when the creator was there!!

There were so many wonderful memories of my visits to the Q, I am so thankful to Mr. Segel and my QVC family!

Let’s take a look back at some of our great times with QVC!"

c&p this link for a fun walk down memory lane:
walkathome.com/qvc-first-on-air-guest/

E9487BBD-6F29-4381-9BF5-1CA045599075.JPG

C726E216-835B-4FA5-8D42-B72271CA97D5.JPG

3F1EF24B-C6F8-4BD9-A042-6C0FA8DABD47.JPG

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shaggygirl wrote:

Delta Burke? I remember so very long ago she was on with Jill and started crying. I think it was because she was being taunted about her weight. She had to get up and go off camera for a spell till she got ahold of herself. Jill was so very sweet and kind to her when the tears started. It was a clothing line she had and very nice things in fact.

Here's the video @shaggygirl.

Delta Burke On QVC - Brief Appearance - 2000 - YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R-YLsMRKZLI

I never knew there were so many YouTube videoes

of old QVC shows. Interesting viewing for fans!

Super Contributor

I miss Joan!💔

Here she's with Kathy Levine:

June 1998 - Joan Rivers Pitches Her Classic Jewelry Collection on QVC -

YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ojunCsMZbhk