Trusted Contributor

Re: Who was Qvc first ever celebrity host?

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I don't believe a 'celeb" has EVER been a host. Vendors, yes. Hosts, don't think so.

or maybe I should have said co-Host.

Trusted Contributor

@newname0 wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

I don't believe a 'celeb" has EVER been a host. Vendors, yes. Hosts, don't think so.

or maybe I should have said co-Host.

This is the only photo I could find of SS on QVC because she moved to HSN then.

Suzanne Somers.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I have watched on and off since 1991 and think that celebrities came a little later in the game.  I don't remember any early on.

Respected Contributor

The dirty jobs guy?

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe Lee Sands was the first vendor who came on air to sell his items, eel skin wallets and jewelry. Don’t know if he would classify as a celebrity. He was well enough known that I knew who he was before he came to QVC.

Trusted Contributor

SunValley

You could be right.  I looked up his bio and he began selling on QVC in 1988.

Joan Rivers according to Forbes began selling on QVC in 1990

Suzzane Sumers came to QVC on May 31, 2017

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I believe Lee Sands was the first vendor who came on air to sell his items, eel skin wallets and jewelry. Don’t know if he would classify as a celebrity. He was well enough known that I knew who he was before he came to QVC.

@SunValley  You are right about Lee Sands; he's mentioned this often.  I'd forgotten about him, even though I have some of his goods from his really early days on the Q.

Bob Mackie definitey has to be a very early one.  Gosh, I remember when all he sold in his early days were scarves and him saying some day he would bring clothes on to sell too.  I also remember when he sold stationery and those trinket boxes, three of which I own.  But silk scarves were the only thing he sold when he first came to the Q.  Maybe Joan was before him though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

@SunValley  You are right about Lee Sands; he's mentioned this often.  I'd forgotten about him, even though I have some of his goods from his really early days on the Q.

Bob Mackie definitey has to be a very early one.  Gosh, I remember when all he sold in his early days were scarves and him saying some day he would bring clothes on to sell too.  I also remember when he sold stationery and those trinket boxes, three of which I own.  But silk scarves were the only thing he sold when he first came to the Q.  Maybe Joan was before him though.

@SunValley,  @Pearlee,  I'm pretty sure I've read before that Leslie Sansone was the first vendor on QVC who presented her own products but Lee Sands probably was not far behind, though neither might have been considered a celebrity at the time.     I agree with others that most of the time when the "celebrity presenter" history is discussed Joan Rivers is credited with being the first to take the leap of faith and then others followed.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's an article from 2001, her start would've been in 1986:

" ...In fact, Sansone was the first guest host to tout her own product on the fledgling television network 15 years ago. QVC's buyer agreed with Sansone that "the girl with these tapes has great charisma, great personality," said QVC's Roger Elvin... "

(old.post-gazette.com/lifestyle/20011204leslie1204fnp3.asp)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo  Well, I've still heard Lee claim it to be himself, on many occasions!