Respected Contributor

Re: Who's excited for Christmas in June?

[ Edited ]

Not me.  I just don't need stuff any more nor the people on my list.  So I can wait until much closer to Christmas.  

I am sure I will watch some of the shows though to see what they have new or different.  Buying not so much.

Funny how things change.  I use to wait for CIJ. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I dread Christmas-in-Summer more than the plague.

I dont understand dreading something you are not going to watch.

Regular Contributor

I can't wait for the CIJ shows - I love it!!  I'm a cold weather person so I just love all things winter time Smiley Happy

"Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful."
Regular Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

summer is my least favorite season.

i am so ready for see some "holiday magic" in the midst of heat and humidity. i think the christmas shows are always fun, especially when they are "out of season." count me in as READY! ho, ho, ho!

Agree!  Summer is also my least favorite season.  I'm ready for Fall, and Christmas stuff. Smiley Happy

"Some people look for a beautiful place. Others make a place beautiful."
Honored Contributor

@Roscoe the Rascal wrote:

Not me.  I just don't need stuff any more nor the people on my list.  So I can wait until much closer to Christmas.  

I am sure I will watch some of the shows though to see what they have new or different.  Buying not so much.

Funny how things change.  I use to wait for CIJ. 

@Roscoe the Rascal - I used to wait for Christmas in July also.  When I was younger. And when Christmas in July was a one day event and not the start of a 6 month never ending selling of Christmas stuff.  I think all of us can handle a one day thing.  Heck, I might watch again. Might.  But with all the advance hoopla, everywhere not just QVC, by the time Christmas Day actually gets here, I'm sick to death of it.

But that's how I feel about most holidays now.  Too much hoopla. It's just too much for me.

But again, I realize I might be in the minority here.  I've gotten older,  I don't have much family anymore.  I am not into accumulating things I have to store in bins and bins and bins,  It's just not my thing.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I dread Christmas in December and loathe it before Thanksgiving. It's been 20+ years since I watched a Christmas show and I don't plan to change that.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't love it but I don't dread it either. By the time CIJ is here I'm ready for summer to be over but it won't until October. We only buy one gift and that's a gift card for our hairdresser. We keep things simple for ourselves. One smaller tree and one larger tree. We do a nice meal for us but keep that simple too. Usually we eat outside by the firepit.  That's it. No lights outside, no packages to wrap, no fancy meal with tons of baking and expense, no rushing around to get that last minute gift, no gift closet, no buying for the pet sitter, trash man, mailman, the air conditioning man, plumber or the barista at Starbucks etc. Christmas is a one day event that is over in 24 hours. I don't want put up more than I can take down and store in a few hours.

Trusted Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I dread Christmas-in-Summer more than the plague.

I dont understand dreading something you are not going to watch.

I'm with Kachina624, reason for it is simple, trying to avoid it has become impossible. It's not just about watching on QVC, it is in the stores, on every Hallmark channel and everywhere online. I really detest that Hallmark has decided to start the 24 hour Christmas movies at  Halloween. They are all cheapening the holiday and turning it into a merchandising opportunity. I hate it.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Esteemed Contributor

I don't mind it at all.  I am one of those who enjoy the holidays and I also enjoy watching the shows as it give me ideas of how to decorate with what I already have.  I don't buy anymore "stuff" but I surely enjoy what I have collected over the years.  When we did our downsizing thing I did donate a lot of older decor that just didn't suit us anymore.  

I too, shop early for gifts so I can enjoy Christmas without pressure.  I also don't have a lot too buy so it's not hard for me anyway.   I do understand some of the "sadness" around this subject but let those who enjoy, enjoy it.   

Esteemed Contributor

Darn those three wise men for starting the Christmas gift ritual.  At this point in my life nobody (other than children) needs any more things.  The only Christmas gifts I give is to children.  My circle has long ago decided not to exchange gifts.  Although my attic is cramped with lovely decorations, I find myself less inclined to put them all out as years go by.  I don't want or need any more clutter.  I must say though that when I do decide to go all out with the decor I enjoy it.  Outside decorating is the worse but I do it in the cold every year.