Esteemed Contributor

Who is the person(s) hitting the “no” button on reviews?

I like the product reviews that the Q buyers leave. For the most part (except those complaining about shipping, or advanced orders) they help me decide if I want a product. I hit "yes" the product review was helpful. I seen numerous "no's" for really informative reviews. Who does that?? For the same item, I see a huge note on almost everyone of the reviews. Not cool. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Who is the person(s) hitting the “no” button on reviews?

I wish the reviews were more accurate. Some of the reviews are brutal, and items have low stars. I have purchased some adorable things, and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why people review them so poorly. I see the same thing on here. People rip on something and scream from the rooftops that they would never buy because of low quality, price, etc. They haven't even gotten the item how can they judge?

Honored Contributor

I think there are a lot of reasons people say a review isn't helpful.  Sometimes it's just pettiness.  Maybe their experience with the item or product is opposite of what another reviewer wrote so they hit the "no" button because it can't possibly be that everyone's experience isn't the same.

In some instances I think there are people who dislike or like a brand so much that they can't stand to see a good or bad review, depending on how they feel about the brand, so they say the review isn't helpful.

I rarely post reviews but I did for a make-up item and I posted a very detailed review and numerous people marked it as not helpful.  Oh well. 

And sometimes, the review really isn't helpful.  Reviewing an item you don't own isn't helpful.  Complaining in a review that an item doesn't come in petite, you don't like the colors, you don't like the materials, you wished it had long sleeves, etc.  isn't helpful. 

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 I do hit the "no" button when I am reading the reviews to consider a purchase and the person has said things indicating that they didn't buy the item (so how can they review it?), that this is the most terrible item ever but don't tell you why, that they didn't buy the item because they didn't like any of the colors and things like that.  I thought reviews are supposed to be assessments of purchases to give feedback on the actual item, not a way to complain about things you don't want to buy.  I don't recall giving a negative response to a detailed description of an item.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

I hit NO when a review doesn't say anything useful. Comments that are  too general, "I like it alot."  "Great product"  "Need to offer more colors."  They don't tell me anything and I wonder why bother? 

I find myself reviewing exceptional products or poor performing ones to help others in their shopping. I really appreciate those detailed reviews that customers took time to write. Some people maybe hit No as mentioned, not liking a brand or vendor or just wanting to be different and say  the opposite. Maybe the review doesnt answer their question in their mind so therefore not a good review. 

Honored Contributor

@Effie54 

I've seen this go on for a long time.  I began watching all my reviews for a period of 6 months several years ago.  There was one "no" on every one of my reviews that were very detailed more so than most.  I didn't complain about delayed shipping and other things some do. 

I began watching other reviews.  Yes, other detailed reviews were receiving "no," as well.   

I decided someone was just being nasty.  But, also, I think some were from those who purchased the product and didn't agree with my review.  They may have received a perfect item, I didn't, but, evidently, for them, I wasn't permitted to state the defects and sizing issues in my review.  

Then, I began adding at the end of my review..."This review does not imply everyone will receive the item in the same condition or sizing as I did" because I found that to be true.  Some reviewers were very happy with what they received. 

I can't think of every possible question a reader might want answered; however some seem to expect that.  I'm not being paid, not a professional reviewer, just using my own time to leave one that might be helpful to others.  

If one review doesn't answer all the questions, go on to others, they might be found there.  

I don't give anyone a "no."  I see no point in that. Criticizing someone for not leaving the perfect review doesn't sit well with me, but I have seen that. 

If QVC approves of people leaving reviews who didn't buy the product, then so be it. Others have complained about that and nothing was done. I skip over them.  I also ignore those that I think is unjustifiable complaining.

I ignore the ratings, except when all are from QVC buyers.

Honored Contributor

I never bother with that "helpful review" stuff on any site.  I think they are just trying to train people to write a positive review.  

Super Contributor

For clothing, if a review says "I love my sweater" that is no help at all... please give me more info .... I give my measurements, color purchased, and size purchased, as well as 'about the fit'...otherwise why leave a review?   

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@Effie54 

I've seen this go on for a long time.  I began watching all my reviews for a period of 6 months several years ago.  There was one "no" on every one of my reviews that were very detailed more so than most.  I didn't complain about delayed shipping and other things some do. 

I began watching other reviews.  Yes, other detailed reviews were receiving "no," as well.   

I decided someone was just being nasty.  But, also, I think some were from those who purchased the product and didn't agree with my review.  They may have received a perfect item, I didn't, but, evidently, for them, I wasn't permitted to state the defects and sizing issues in my review.  

Then, I began adding at the end of my review..."This review does not imply everyone will receive the item in the same condition or sizing as I did" because I found that to be true.  Some reviewers were very happy with what they received. 

I can't think of every possible question a reader might want answered; however some seem to expect that.  I'm not being paid, not a professional reviewer, just using my own time to leave one that might be helpful to others.  

If one review doesn't answer all the questions, go on to others, they might be found there.  

I don't give anyone a "no."  I see no point in that. Criticizing someone for not leaving the perfect review doesn't sit well with me, but I have seen that. 

If QVC approves of people leaving reviews who didn't buy the product, then so be it. Others have complained about that and nothing was done. I skip over them.  I also ignore those that I think is unjustifiable complaining.

I ignore the ratings, except when all are from QVC buyers.

Yours are the types of reviews I look for when thinking about a purchase. I try to be the same way....I review it based on my experience with that product. When I see a "no", I just shake my head. They don't have to agree with me, but our reviews are all helpful. 

Super Contributor

@MarcyG72 . I agree with you.  I give details also like softness,  if color is vibrant or not, deep pockets and most importantly, my weight and size I ordered. Then telling how it fits me.