Trusted Contributor

Re: Who is responsible for stolen packages?

If no one signed for it, they can't prove delivery.

But to be on the safe side I have packages sent to my office instead of home.

Super Contributor

I used to work for a brick and mortar's on-line (website) Customer Service.  There were certain zip codes that we wouldn't take orders from, mostly a few in NY and also a few in the Miami area since they had a very high rate of packages disappearing during the day. 

All of our packages would start with UPS when they left the warehouse in the Midwest and then get passed off to the local post office for final delivery.  It was like shooting fish in a barrel for thieves who only had to know approximately what time the mail was delivered in certain neighborhoods.  We would ask the customer to check with neighbors, and wait a few days to see if it popped up.  If not, we would replace the order at no charge and then file a claim.

We had multiple stolen packages each day from all over the country.  We would have even more stolen close to Christmas and that would stink since we would send out via Overnight or Priority in some cases to get it there on time and somebody's Christmas would get ruined due to a stolen item.

After working there, I shop brick and mortar especially close to Christmas in order to insure the item is on time.

Honored Contributor

The merchant is responsible for delivering packages into the hands of the customer.  Even if the shipper said it was delivered, they make mistakes and could have left it at the wrong address.  I once received and opened another person's QVC package.  My son said,  "UPS just assumes all Q packages on our street are for you."  Of course I delivered the package to the right person.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Twice I've had tracking on QVC pkgs say delivered but I never received them.  For one of them QVC immediately shipped me a replacement.  For the other one, a pair of shoes, since they were sold out in my size, QVC refunded me.

Honored Contributor

@vickie25 wrote:

Twice I've had tracking on QVC pkgs say delivered but I never received them.  For one of them QVC immediately shipped me a replacement.  For the other one, a pair of shoes, since they were sold out in my size, QVC refunded me.

UPS is infamous, in my state at least, for saying something was delivered to "you" and that they have "your" signature. I have had multiple packages over the years (at different addresses in different towns) never show up, that UPS said they delivered and had "my" signature.

The most recent was Xmas in July Lenox ornaments. They were delivered to "me" and "I" signed for them - to a town 6-7 miles down the freeway from where I actually live! And when I checked with QVC CS, they *had*been shipped to my correct address. I don't understand how UPS gets away with this for decades. QVC immediately re-shipped, and weren't surprised in the least.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

Sadly, I don't take any chances. 

Now I live in a highrise building and I have a 24 hour doorman which is very convenient.  they sign for all packages and I go pick them up downstairs whenever I want.  At my last home, no doorman so I had them delivered to my workplace.  Even if I wasn't in the office, they would be kept safe. 

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@vickie25 wrote:

UPS is infamous, in my state at least, for saying something was delivered to "you" and that they have "your" signature. I have had multiple packages over the years (at different addresses in different towns) never show up, that UPS said they delivered and had "my" signature.

The most recent was Xmas in July Lenox ornaments. They were delivered to "me" and "I" signed for them - to a town 6-7 miles down the freeway from where I actually live! And when I checked with QVC CS, they *had*been shipped to my correct address. I don't understand how UPS gets away with this for decades. QVC immediately re-shipped, and weren't surprised in the least.

I keep their phone number handy.  They contact the driver and they generally know which house it was left at if you call right away.  I have no doubt someone else would sign your name if they gave them a package.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

@debic wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@vickie25 wrote:

I keep their phone number handy.  They contact the driver and they generally know which house it was left at if you call right away.  I have no doubt someone else would sign your name if they gave them a package.

How is anyone that sneaky?  It would never occur to me to quickly check the name and sign it.  Only once did a package arrive when I was not expecting one and handed it back. She tried to give it back to me (lovely game of hot potato on my porch) and I had to point out my neighbors name on the package for her to take it. 

Respected Contributor

@Jeannie29 wrote:

@debic wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@vickie25 wrote:

How is anyone that sneaky?  It would never occur to me to quickly check the name and sign it.  Only once did a package arrive when I was not expecting one and handed it back. She tried to give it back to me (lovely game of hot potato on my porch) and I had to point out my neighbors name on the package for her to take it. 

I don't know but I've gotten other people's packages and people have gotten mine, I call UPS and they always know where they delivered it.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Frequent Contributor

The UPS delivery driver in our area just leaves the package by the front door.  He never rings the doorbell or knocks on the door.  I always track my packages on line aso hnd keep an eye open for them.  I've also had 2 orders delivered to my next door neighbor.  If packages are sent by mail my mailman always rings the doorbell and then leaves it by the door. I've only had a delivery person hand me a package one time.