Esteemed Contributor

Who has kept broken or defective merch?

I wonder how many people just keep something that is defective or broken rather than take the time to return..

I notice it happens frequently for Valeries items because they get sold out and we really want the item. Someone on another post kept a gingerbread figure that came with it's head glued back on. I have done it myself with a candle and recently, the plate lifts that I can'fix' when I use it.

I even see in reviews that things...just get thrown 'in the trash'...rather than return.

Respected Contributor

Re: Who has kept broken or defective merch?

I’ve always been surprised reading reviews that say they just threw it out instead of returning because I have always returned something broken or defective.  

Honored Contributor

I kept a few things that I should have returned.  No more, though.  QVC needs to know how many defective products customers are receiving.  

Yes, I have read people repairing broken and defective products, drilling holes to make parts fit, painting chipped paint; which is what I did one time.  One gal took a stacked pumpkin apart and redid it with higher quality materials.

Sometimes I hear, for the cost of shipping, it wasn't worth returning; however, they must not know there are no shipping costs for defective products. 

Others have said since it didn't cost much, they weren't going through the trouble to return it.  

Respected Contributor

No I don't keep stuff defective or broken.  

Over time, I messed up my very old carpet cleaner.....left the filled soap dispenser in its slot over the cold winter ( up in mountain place ).  Tried to repair to no avail.  Put it out next to the filled trash can for pickup: it was picked "up" probably by someone for parts or who was really good at repairs.

For things that arrive broken or break soon after first use, back to sender ASAP.  I would be angry every time I looked at it if I were to keep it !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I kept something from Lock n Lock where 1 piece wouldn't latch properly. 

Honored Contributor

I have bought items that were not broken or defective BUT when I open the package, I go "What was I thinking". It was usually a clothing item.  I usually keep it and donate the item. I never even took it out of the plastic bag. I knew just looking at it still in the bag, I would never wear it.

Honored Contributor

One item; a GILI hadbag that had a crooked leather problem that I didn't think was an issue immediately.  I thought it just was a squished packing situation and that it would fix itself once unpackaged.  Wrong.

I have never kept anything that was less than perfect if I noticed a problem upon opening the box or package.

Esteemed Contributor

Not me.  Back it goes!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Not me.  Back it goes!

@tototwo @Nataliesgramma    I think I inherited my father's "frugal genes".   I can't see wasting money... especially on a defective item.  

Honored Contributor

Not broken or defective but I don't bother returning items that don't fit or I don't like.  Since I rarely order anything more than $30 I just donate the item.  Not worth it to me to send it back.