Trusted Contributor

Re: Who Screens These Calls?

@Sooner, I didn't know what SMH meant either, but a nice poster told me it means "Shaking My Head".
Honored Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Those operators probably make minimum wage and my guess is the working conditions around Q land might not be all that great right now so they probably don't give a wit about who they are putting through.

I too have been asked to speak on air and declined.  There was no screening done at all and no way from our short conversation a determination could have been made as to how I would be on the air.

Has the caller who always just had a baby finally given up calling?  LOL   

@Lipstickdiva  Yes, this is what I posted earlier that there was no screening. All I did was order. A poster told me that is the screening process. Don’t think so. A screening process would be when you are asked specific questions.

@proudlyfromNJ  No one has to say to you, "I'm going to be putting you through a screening process now" in order to screen you to determine whether or not you're capable of speaking on air. A screening process can be as simple as listening to whether or not you're reasonably intelligent, articulate and lucid while placing your order. 

@MaryLamb  I didn’t say that the operator would say that. Don’t put words in my mouth. 

Honored Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ 

PRICELESS response!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

@MaryLamb wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Those operators probably make minimum wage and my guess is the working conditions around Q land might not be all that great right now so they probably don't give a wit about who they are putting through.

I too have been asked to speak on air and declined.  There was no screening done at all and no way from our short conversation a determination could have been made as to how I would be on the air.

@Lipstickdiva  Yes, this is what I posted earlier that there was no screening. All I did was order. A poster told me that is the screening process. Don’t think so. A screening process would be when you are asked specific questions.

@proudlyfromNJ  No one has to say to you, "I'm going to be putting you through a screening process now" in order to screen you to determine whether or not you're capable of speaking on air. A screening process can be as simple as listening to whether or not you're reasonably intelligent, articulate and lucid while placing your order. 

Ah, but here's the rub, even with your version of "screening", a call can go off the rails when on air.

@Anonymous032819  Of course it can, but in this specific case, the operator had to be a complete moron to not realize that the caller was not lucid. She was a train wreck.

I wasn't watching when this call came in but have heard others, the worst one during a show with Shawn and the 8 Greens lady. That guy sounded drunk or on something when he dropped the f-bomb. The call was abruptly ended leaving a stunned Shawn & vendor.  Not sure if the operator could've sensed that guy was a loon either.

Valued Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@MaryLamb wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@MaryLamb  I didn’t say that the operator would say that. Don’t put words in my mouth. 

@proudlyfromNJ  I didn't put words in your mouth. Is your name Shirley?

Valued Contributor

I think these calls are proof that home shopping channels have really let themselves get out of touch with their current customer base. They are leftovers from the beginning of the industry, when viewers couldn't wait to "get on the air" and were all excited to be on TV. 

It stopped being enticing a long, long time ago. When an industry fails to adapt as their consumer base changes, this is what you end up with. Outdated practices that the majority dislikes. 

QVC needs to invest in some customer focus groups, asap. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon