Contributor

Which companies DON’T make their own fabrics and prints on QVC?

I've noticed that vendors such as Susan Graver say that they create their own fabric and prints as opposed to just cutting from already existing fabrics and prints. So, do we know which companies are taking the shortcut way of using existing fabrics?

Respected Contributor

Re: Which companies DON’T make their own fabrics and prints on QVC?

@Dennieee I wouldn't call it a "shortcut" but I would say every other company.

I have heard Susan Graver say this & I think it is probably unusual.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know that any manufacture fabrics as that can be quite a process requiring expensive, special equipment, but they do design the prints that are sold and may buy specially made fabrics brought to them for their consideration.

We'll  probably never know how all of this process works.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could be off base here but I think some designers do design some of their fabrics in a joint effort with textile companies.  Thats how they come up with things like liquid knit, como knit, flexibelle, favorite jersey for a few examples.  Designers such as Susan G does draw prints, and I believe I have heard Gary G say he does too.  Then they go to a textile company and have the clothing made with their fabric and design.

Thats a short synopsis of how I think it works.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Contributor

I did also hear Antthony on HSN today saying how he gets his prints drawn in one place, color corrected in another place, and made in another place. Basically saying that he spends a lot of time making his garments. Susan Graver also talks about how she does more expensive collars by adding fabric instead of just rolling it under. 

Esteemed Contributor

Interisting question so I went to Google for information on the process. To much info to post here but all the information is available through Google for those really interested.

Contributor

@mspatmac Which words did you search under, please? I'm only getting the country where they are made comments from this community when I google.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dennieee wrote:

@mspatmac Which words did you search under, please? I'm only getting the country where they are made comments from this community when I google.

@Dennieee 

Hi.  I pretty much asked questions like I would ask you.  Then opened answerer and would get clues where to look next. Good luck

Respected Contributor

I have heard Gary (Denim & Co) say many, many times over the years that a certain garment will no longer be available because the factory can no longer make it.

I always assumed that a company as large as QVC that orders thousands if not tens of thousands of a certain article of clothing would be able to tell the factory exactly what they want and then the factory would make it.   I never thought that the factory was the "boss."

The most recent example of this was the D&Co side pocket pants.  Gary said they couldn't find a factory to make them anymore, and it took QVC well over a year to find a factory that could make something "similar."  Huh?

I wonder what the truth really is.

Honored Contributor

I've never heard of any designer literally "making" their own fabrics. They source their own fabrics and prints from those who make it.