Super Contributor

Re: Where have the Plus sized models Gone?

The size 14 model, Jackie, Jack, Jackay!!!! is on very, very often. I love the large size clothing model Rebecca--she is very beautiful--short red hair, but she isn't modeling often. Maria, that models large size clothing is on very often, too.

My favorite models are Tonie and Merideth; the wear small sizes; they are so natural when on camera.

Where has small size Aiko been? And, another large clothing model-- years ago, Melissa?

Honored Contributor

For the same reason shoes on display are in size small.   They look better. No different with clothes. Tall thin models show off the clothes better. It is just a fact. It is not reality as most average consumers are not tall and thin, but, there is no reality when it comes to fashion.

Honored Contributor

What I find interesting is that the largest the Plus Sized models go up to is a 1X and that's pretty rare IMHO.  But basically a L or XL is considered "plus size" and I know it is in the fashion world but real women shop this channel and to see representatives of the different sizing would be beneficial.  Even Carolyn is a size L.... but she tends to wear her tops and jackets so incredibly tight on her I don't look to her as representative of my size.... 

And by the way, if I see any of the models not being able to close their jackets.... I won't buy.  They look twice as heavy.  I don't know why the stylists think this is a good look.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Being a plus-sized gal, I'd be the model off the set having a snack!!

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Everything looks fantastic on the tall, thin models.  Not everything looks good on bigger women.  They should at least have a 1X model out in every outfit.  Why do we need to see the same thing on 3 skinny people?

They use "brunette Maria" a lot.

Yes...but Maria is a X Large ......but there aren't any

Plus Size models at all these days.....X Large is the

largest size shown

Esteemed Contributor

@silver fox wrote:

@LilacTree wrote:

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Everything looks fantastic on the tall, thin models.  Not everything looks good on bigger women.  They should at least have a 1X model out in every outfit.  Why do we need to see the same thing on 3 skinny people?

They use "brunette Maria" a lot.

Yes but even she is a XL, it seems now thats as high up as they go.  I remember when they did have a really cute 1X model and she was on all the time, years ago. Then she left and that was that.  Oh and there was that, I think,  plus size model Issac would use all the time but I haven't seen her for quit some time now either. 

Yes...for a while Issac used "Rebecca" .......but not lately

Honored Contributor

That's a good question.

Trusted Contributor

Agreed.  Why do the plus models all have to be over 5ft 9in tall.   The average woman is 5ft 4in and 164 lbs to 188 lbs.   In turn why are the "petite" models usually under 5ft 3in and wear a XXS.    Why should the "average" woman always be the one who has to pay for alterations or go without.   QVC regularly tells of their huge worldwide sales volume.   Why can they not make petite, average and tall.  I think the plus models stand back so that they are not so easily compared to the tall thin ladies.

Trusted Contributor

If you are talking about Rebecca I think she was about 6ft tall.   She had beautiful red hair.  I understood Issac to say some time ago that Rebecca moved far away.  A few times when he had the TSV she would come to town for the day.  I do miss her.  She knew how to present herself and the product.  We are told how QVC and the designers use "fit models" for all sizes.  It would seem that they could ask these models if they would come on air or they could hire new larger models.  

Esteemed Contributor

I also notice a lot of times that the plus sized models are in the background and don't step forward unless asked by the host or vendor. I think it's because the clothes frequently do not fit or don't look good on them because they can't fasten the jackets and the jackets are too small for them.

I just watched Clinton Kelly on Inspired Style selling a denim dress A276349 and he did show the dress on plus model Jackie but the dress looked awful on her, it was wrinkled. Putting a belt and jacket on top didn't particularly help.

Of course the dress looked better on tiny model Deanna. Clinton trying to put a belt on Deanna was ridiculous too. He should just hand the belts to the models and let them put them on.

I used to like Clinton Kelly on "What Not to Wear" but I find him to be grating as a clothing vendor.