Super Contributor

Re: Where garments and other items are made

[ Edited ]

What about if the product is made in the USA, but the materials could be from China or other countries?  This person will need to investigate every detail of the supply chain.  Sounds like quite a way to be a martyr for the cause!!

If the OP has this kind of free time to spend researching - good luck to her!!  She won't be able to use technology to do this research b/c those devices too are made in China, but maybe she can call on a pay phone.

Honored Contributor

Any factories that were around here from the manufacturing days have long ago been converted into condos. Same with the ones I've seen in Massachusetts. Restaurants,stores and condos.

Respected Contributor

@Stylized  Before being able to purchase many items not currently made in the U.S. several things would have to happen. First, there would need to be investors willing to build or update manufacturing plants. There would have to be a strong market for goods made here at higher costs to attract investors.

Research into various markets would likely be done. Taxes on the business would be a consideration. If investors were secured, materials and a workforce would need to be secured. Are the necessary materials available here, or would some have to be imported? Workers need to make a decent living wage & have benefits (i.e. health insurance). The cost of a labor force could be high, and all costs  to produce goods would be reflected in the prices of the products.

I guess what I'm saying is that there's no wand to make what people want to buy magically & suddenly produced in our own country. But, it seems that large U.S. companies that use computer chips should be manufacturing them here.

Esteemed Contributor

I empathize with your desire, but unfortunately, it is just not feasible at this time. Perhaps one day...🤔

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

My one contribution to @Stylized's quest this year was buying some towels "made in China from cotton grown in the United States." 

Respected Contributor

@LibbyLib wrote:

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Yes, every so often this same issue comes up on these boards.  I highly recommend that all those who wish items were made in the USA start a manufacturing company and hire their friends and family to work for economical wages.

Many Americans do NOT want to do monotonous work, which is why so much manual labor has become outsourced.  And with a global economy, companies look to where labor is cheapest, and benefits are weak.

I saw in our newspaper (Phila Inquirer) that Amazon warehouses have such a high turnover of staff that they are trying to make robots do everything.

It is sad that most jobs in the US no longer offer pensions, either--most Americans must save on their own to retire.  There are a lot of people who live only on their Social Security, but it was originally supposed to only be a supplemental source of income.

As to international relations, friends today are enemies tomorrow and vice versa.  Finally, many items are made from parts from many different countries, so there is not really one origin country.

I love your answer @FancyPhillyshopper - it's factual and complete.

@Stylized It's often the very same folks who complain about cancel culture that are ready to boycott without all the information. I'd like to piggy back onto what Fancy said, and I hope you read everything she wrote carefully.

We've been having goods manufactured in Asia since as long as I can remember. I grew up with goods from Japan and Taiwan in the 60's and 70's. No one stole our jobs - they were happily given away. It's not fair to blame the Chinese people for their government's actions - they have even less control over it than we do, and ours is off the rails no matter what party you stand with.

I saw a documentary a few years ago on Chinese laborers - the "artists" Valerie and Tara call them, though they are hardly treated that way. (These laborers weren't associated with the Q, just to be clear.) Most of them live in factory dormitories far away from their children and families.They work terrible hours for very little money, which they send back home. I watched a lovely young mother getting to see her children a few times a year on a long bus ride. It was heartbreaking. If we boycott China, Chinese workers will suffer horribly in poverty our poorest Americans don't experience here.

Yes, the government benefits from our income, but the workers and their families exist on it. We are all human beings - even people you understand very little about, so far away. We were just lucky to be born here. Compassion, please - I know you want to do something, and you will do as you choose, but it's not as black and white you think.

Tell it to the Uighurs.  Some things really are black and white.

Respected Contributor

@Stylized I have found at least 2 websites (there may be others) for clothing items made in the USA; one is expensive and the other one is moderately priced.  Have bought items from both and have been very well satisfied.

I'll try this; may get poofed.  One is All American Clothing (moderately priced).  The other is LC King Mfg. Co. (expensive but heavy duty clothing).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stylized 

So much of what's made in China and other countries are  from American companies that moved their manufacturing there. Nothing will change until American companies are penalized for moving or outsourcing.

We want other countries to buy from us so we have to buy from them. When tariffs were added in the last 4 years, other companies went elsewhere. We can be naive about it or realistic.

Honored Contributor

@Stylized wrote:

My New Year's resolution is not to buy anything made in China.  I'm sorry QVC, but China is not our friend, and I will not support anyone that helps them economically.  I know it is going to be difficult for me, but at least I will be saving a lot of money.  I hope you and your vendors can find other places to manufacture your goods.  Somewhere where a country likes us.  I would pay a little more if they were made in the USA.

@Stylized 

It's hard to say because website descriptions only say, IMPORTED.....

Afew have had labels that had a QVC clothing label that said: "Made In Vietnam" and "Made In India" too....And the "Life Is Good" t-shirts are "Made In Peru".....And the other night they had dinnerware pieces "Made In Poland"..... and a lot of Samsung products are made in South Korea

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@Stylized 

Many of my garments have tags that say : manufactured in VIETNAM.  Remember Vietnam?  It's a Communist country.  So, what are your feelings about that?  Oh, years ago, the USA lost a war there.

@maximillian 

Ive found that the "Made In Vietnam" labeled clothing is better quality and the sizing is consistent! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”