Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where garments and other items are made

Speaking of The A, I may shop there 2-3 times a year 😄

They make most of their $ off Prime, not from what they sell. 

I read an article in business news that if every A warehouse worker was paid $50k a year it would cost Bezos 1/2 of 1% of his net worth. Maybe they could retain employees with decent pay. 

WF employees used to get health ins, even if part time. Bezos ended that perk when he purchased WF.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Yes, every so often this same issue comes up on these boards.  I highly recommend that all those who wish items were made in the USA start a manufacturing company and hire their friends and family to work for economical wages.

Many Americans do NOT want to do monotonous work, which is why so much manual labor has become outsourced.  And with a global economy, companies look to where labor is cheapest, and benefits are weak.

I saw in our newspaper (Phila Inquirer) that Amazon warehouses have such a high turnover of staff that they are trying to make robots do everything.

It is sad that most jobs in the US no longer offer pensions, either--most Americans must save on their own to retire.  There are a lot of people who live only on their Social Security, but it was originally supposed to only be a supplemental source of income.

As to international relations, friends today are enemies tomorrow and vice versa.  Finally, many items are made from parts from many different countries, so there is not really one origin country.

I love your answer @FancyPhillyshopper - it's factual and complete.

@Stylized It's often the very same folks who complain about cancel culture that are ready to boycott without all the information. I'd like to piggy back onto what Fancy said, and I hope you read everything she wrote carefully.

We've been having goods manufactured in Asia since as long as I can remember. I grew up with goods from Japan and Taiwan in the 60's and 70's. No one stole our jobs - they were happily given away. It's not fair to blame the Chinese people for their government's actions - they have even less control over it than we do, and ours is off the rails no matter what party you stand with.

I saw a documentary a few years ago on Chinese laborers - the "artists" Valerie and Tara call them, though they are hardly treated that way. (These laborers weren't associated with the Q, just to be clear.) Most of them live in factory dormitories far away from their children and families.They work terrible hours for very little money, which they send back home. I watched a lovely young mother getting to see her children a few times a year on a long bus ride. It was heartbreaking. If we boycott China, Chinese workers will suffer horribly in poverty our poorest Americans don't experience here.

Yes, the government benefits from our income, but the workers and their families exist on it. We are all human beings - even people you understand very little about, so far away. We were just lucky to be born here. Compassion, please - I know you want to do something, and you will do as you choose, but it's not as black and white you think.

Respected Contributor

@Stylized   Nothing from China, huh? Good luck with that. You're embarking on Mission Impossible.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Forum, @Stylized

Yes, China is a Communist country and not a friend of the United States.  

Vietnam is also Communist and I'm seeing clothing made there.  

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Stylized 

In that case, ponder this:

Knowing many consumers avoid purchasing items "made in China", the Chinese have bought & staffed factories in other countries.

At least a year ago I read of Chinese commuters going to work in Chinese manufacturing plants located in Italy.

Do you avoid buying items marked "made in Italy"?

Do you think this is the only example?

@x Hedge Interesting....I just bought a cream colored throw at Home Goods a few days ago.  It was tagged "Made in Italy".  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stylized wrote:

My New Year's resolution is not to buy anything made in China.  I'm sorry QVC, but China is not our friend, and I will not support anyone that helps them economically.  I know it is going to be difficult for me, but at least I will be saving a lot of money.  I hope you and your vendors can find other places to manufacture your goods.  Somewhere where a country likes us.  I would pay a little more if they were made in the USA.

@Stylized   My family is in the clothing industry...think I've said this before. I grew up knowing that manufacturing is done anywhere you get the best price. Very few of these locations are the USA. 

Before Covid, but especially now, workers are not willing to be employed and/or asking for higher wages than other countries where factories provide the same services for less money. It is rare to see clothing, shoes, etc. made here. There's a limited workforce.

Honored Contributor

@Stylized wrote:

My New Year's resolution is not to buy anything made in China.  I'm sorry QVC, but China is not our friend, and I will not support anyone that helps them economically.  I know it is going to be difficult for me, but at least I will be saving a lot of money.  I hope you and your vendors can find other places to manufacture your goods.  Somewhere where a country likes us.  I would pay a little more if they were made in the USA.

I am afraid you would have to pay WAY MORE than a little if everything was made in the USA.

I wish you well in this endeavor!  We have several locations now of a store named Made In America where they sell only US goods.

Respected Contributor

Surprise surprise a lot of communities don't want textile mills in their backyard. They are a great drain on the communities' natural resources of water, etc. and they produce, hazardous materials that need disposal.  When OSHA and the EPA were formed manufactures fled the country to avoid the regulations.  

We are now in a technological revolution in the US not an industrial revolution. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Stylized wrote:

@Stylized 

Surprising, that some American buyers always support Chinese workers over United States' workers and poor friendly countries that need the work.

I don't get it. 

Honored Contributor

@Stylized wrote:

It would be so nice to open factories here again and see the union lable.  Yes things might be a little more expensive however people would be making more money to afford them.  Products would be safer too because we would have strict guidelines and regulations.