Occasional Visitor

Where garments and other items are made

My New Year's resolution is not to buy anything made in China.  I'm sorry QVC, but China is not our friend, and I will not support anyone that helps them economically.  I know it is going to be difficult for me, but at least I will be saving a lot of money.  I hope you and your vendors can find other places to manufacture your goods.  Somewhere where a country likes us.  I would pay a little more if they were made in the USA.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Where garments and other items are made

@Stylized 

In that case, ponder this:

Knowing many consumers avoid purchasing items "made in China", the Chinese have bought & staffed factories in other countries.

At least a year ago I read of Chinese commuters going to work in Chinese manufacturing plants located in Italy.

Do you avoid buying items marked "made in Italy"?

Do you think this is the only example?

Respected Contributor

@Stylized 

Many of my garments have tags that say : manufactured in VIETNAM.  Remember Vietnam?  It's a Communist country.  So, what are your feelings about that?  Oh, years ago, the USA lost a war there.

Esteemed Contributor

While it's not a complete answer, it sure is a start.

Where something is made is always a priority for me. 

Here in MI the CEO of Kellogg's in Battle Creek threatened to export cereal production to MX and even China. The employees responded "go ahead". 

This is abouut profit for them far more than savings to you.

Honored Contributor

Because the tariffs increase prices, most QVC clothing is now being made in a number of other countries.  Other products are often made in China because that's the only place in the world that manufacturers them.  People tend to soften their stance when their refrigerator or washer goes out or a cell phone or computer or they need medication. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

I think it comes down to being practical.  I'm not necessarity a fan of some countries we deal with, but it's a global economy.  I realize I have to be realistic.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Because the tariffs increase prices, most QVC clothing is now being made in a number of other countries.  Other products are often made in China because that's the only place in the world that manufacturers them.  People tend to soften their stance when their refrigerator or washer goes out or a cell phone or computer or they need medication. 

@Kachina624 

Or a new car.  All those chips.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

@Stylized Where will you be purchasing things from?  Are you planning to give up technology completely?

Trusted Contributor

Greed. It's all about greed IMHO. One day people will realize that they can't eat money from profits.

*Jumping off my soapbox* Sorry, I apologize. Tough day.

Respected Contributor

Yes, every so often this same issue comes up on these boards.  I highly recommend that all those who wish items were made in the USA start a manufacturing company and hire their friends and family to work for economical wages.

Many Americans do NOT want to do monotonous work, which is why so much manual labor has become outsourced.  And with a global economy, companies look to where labor is cheapest, and benefits are weak.

I saw in our newspaper (Phila Inquirer) that Amazon warehouses have such a high turnover of staff that they are trying to make robots do everything.

It is sad that most jobs in the US no longer offer pensions, either--most Americans must save on their own to retire.  There are a lot of people who live only on their Social Security, but it was originally supposed to only be a supplemental source of income.

As to international relations, friends today are enemies tomorrow and vice versa.  Finally, many items are made from parts from many different countries, so there is not really one origin country.