Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whats up w/Friendsgiving?

@on the bay wrote:

@beach-mom -

My daughter has done the same with her friends since college. I think the "friendsgiving"

must be from that generation.

The word itself was first used in 2007 I read. Lots of interesting history about it. 

I'm not sure how/where it originated, but I've been hearing about it going back much, much further than 2007.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan -

I think I have too, despite what I read.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

I'm surprised the Q isn't celebrating "Yay-nksgiving" !

@alicedee 

🤣🤣🤣 Yes, that's one thing we can certainly be thankful for....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

My grandmother.....as long ago as I can remember.....ALWAYS invited some "singles" to join the family  for all holidays.........

In Chicago, during WW2, families used to invite sailors from Great Lakes to join holiday celebrations......

And students at Loyola U. (Chicago) brought exchange students home with them to partake in the American Tradition.....

@Desertdi 

Before Co-Vid since we have some military bases here they used encourage people in our city to "adopt a soldier" who didnt have anywhere to go for Thanksgiving....a friend of mine always added a couple of soldiers in addition to her family for her Thanksgiving dinner.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

Just another one of those "made-up" words.   Can't stand them........    

@Desertdi 

A lot of my relatives have passed and when we get together with friends we still call it Thanksgiving! No matter who you are with on that day, even if you are alone, its nice to pause and count your blessings, which we normally take for granted, on this just one day.....

Valued Contributor

I think QVC is going for anything and everything.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving are not the same thing, Thanksgiving is traditionally family, then the weekend following is Friendgiving when friends get together to share the leftovers

Oh that is right!! I'd forgotten that. That is exactly what it was. And as that, I like it. Doesn't take the place of Thanksgiving, or rename it...it's another chance for friends to get together and share the leftovers!  Yes, as someone else alluded to...I believe it was a Gen X thing...that's about when it all started.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I have a suggestion.  Call it "Thursday" like we do.  For some of us out here, it isn't "Thanksgiving" as it once was and it's silly to play like it is.

We are Thankful every day and are are very blessed.   But we don't do the feast and the party etc.  

And I think Friendsgiving is a great idea.  It takes some of the pressure off of people who, like us, have run out of family. 

@Sooner , what if you don't have friends either?

Honored Contributor

According to Merriam-Websiter, it is celebrated on or near Thanksgiving Day so it's not exactly correct that Thanksgiving and Friendsgiving are separate.  

Not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving on Thursday either due to work, travel, etc. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I have a suggestion.  Call it "Thursday" like we do.  For some of us out here, it isn't "Thanksgiving" as it once was and it's silly to play like it is.

We are Thankful every day and are are very blessed.   But we don't do the feast and the party etc.  

And I think Friendsgiving is a great idea.  It takes some of the pressure off of people who, like us, have run out of family. 

@Sooner , what if you don't have friends either?

@Lipstickdiva That's why "Thursday" is always appropriate.