Esteemed Contributor

Re: Whats up w/Friendsgiving?

@skatting44 wrote:

Words can change how society thinks. Thanksgiving was the Holiday to give Thanks  and  was to commerate  coming to America .

@skatting44  BINGO!

Esteemed Contributor

Friends can get together on Thanksgiving, have a communal meal and call it Friendsgiving.

They can call it Thanksgiving.

They can call it Stashquashgiving for all I care.

What is the big deal?

No one is forcing you the reader to call it a different name.

So let other's call the day whatever they want to call it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Friendsgiving and Thanksgiving are not the same thing, Thanksgiving is traditionally family, then the weekend following is Friendgiving when friends get together to share the leftovers

This is my understanding as well.  Not necessarily the specifics of sharing leftovers; but just that "Friendsgiving" isn't necessarily on the same day as "Thanksgiving".  It's another day for friends to get together and celebrate.

I'm kind of surprised that it didn't originate with the Friends TV show as I'm pretty sure they had many memorable Thanksgiving episodes.

Trusted Contributor

It will always be Thanksgiving to me.  All these new terms are just silly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1  OK. We are into about 45 minutes of In The Kitchen With David and I am already sick of Fr...That word!

Honored Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Whats up w/Friendsgiving? I like to say Thanksgiving. In fact,I really like TG. 

FG is nothing new.  They been throwing that term around for a few years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

DD has been celebrating Friendsgiving with her closest high school friends since they all graduated from college and found themselves back in the same area. One girl and her husband always host and make the turkey; the others all bring something. They always have it the Saturday night  before Thanksgiving, and I think they got the idea from the TV show Friends. DD always looks forward to it.

Obviously they are not doing it this year.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

DD has been celebrating Friendsgiving with her closest high school friends since they all graduated from college and found themselves back in the same area. One girl and her husband always host and make the turkey; the others all bring something. They always have it the Saturday night  before Thanksgiving, and I think they got the idea from the TV show Friends. DD always looks forward to it.

Obviously they are not doing it this year.  Smiley Sad

Friendsgiving to me has always been separate from Thanksgiving.  As you said,  during the Thanksgiving season, not on Thanksgiving itself.  It's customary to have it  when college students are home from college and want to get together with friends, or when any group of friends decide to have an additional celebration.

It doesn't necessarily take the place of Thanksgiving.  For years, I've known people who had Thanksgiving dinner with their families on Thanksgiving, and Friendsgiving with friends sometime in the days before or after.  And this goes back a very long time, even prior to the TV show, Friends.

But if a group of friends want to get together actually on Thanksgiving, and call it Friendsgiving, that's fine with me.  Why would I care?  Maybe they have no family or fractured family relationships or family far away, and they feel thankful & grateful for the friends in their lives.  Also - Not everyone has warm & fuzzy memories of Thanksgivings in the past.   I don't see anything wrong with creating new traditions.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom -

My daughter has done the same with her friends since college. I think the "friendsgiving"

must be from that generation.

The word itself was first used in 2007 I read. Lots of interesting history about it. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I have a suggestion.  Call it "Thursday" like we do.  For some of us out here, it isn't "Thanksgiving" as it once was and it's silly to play like it is.

We are Thankful every day and are are very blessed.   But we don't do the feast and the party etc.  

And I think Friendsgiving is a great idea.  It takes some of the pressure off of people who, like us, have run out of family.