Esteemed Contributor

Re: What were they thinking? - Face Masks

I don't understand the angst over QVC selling masks.

Just visit various retailers online. Everyone is selling masks.

Macy's,  Brooks Brothers,  Ralph Lauren, Abercrombie....and on and on.

Small clothing boutiques in my neighborhood have signs indicating they have masks.  It may be the only items they are moving right now. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:
@BalletBabe. That is ridiculous!!!

Really?  Don't think so.  Why do you think everyone is selling them?  Even Tara from Temptations.  It is a big money maker.  That is my opinion and I am sticking with it. 

So Tara from Temptations is selling masks.  And pretty much everyone else.  So what?  Yes, it's a big money maker for lots of companies, and for some struggling to survive it's how they've kept their businesses from collapsing completely.  For others it's been an unexpected windfall.

But what does any of that have to do with the science involved in all of this? 

Esteemed Contributor

I know I hate masks sold as a fashion statement.  If you don't have good mask hygiene they aren't fool proof.  I was in the medical field for 50 years and took care of contagion and never got sick.  Yes, a mask protects others but it does protect you as well.  The cotton mask was suggested as PPE were in short supply to medical and front line workers.  I never wore nor will I wear a cotton mask during this pandemic as cotton is porous and latest data shows they aren't very effective.   If you stand to the side of someone in a cotton mask during conversation, you can see the droplets pass through it.  But, it's better than nothing I guess.   I wear a surgical mask or N95 when Covidnumbers are high like now in NJ. 

Frequent Contributor

QVC is going to sell what we need, and since they are mandated and we need them we will continue to see them for quite some time.  Just wear the masks so we can make this virus go away, its what we all want.  I dont like wearing a bra either, but hey, gotta do it.

Esteemed Contributor

Tommy Copper and Kirk,s Follies were selling mask yesterday on the Q.

I like my kF American Flag sparkle mask got a few months ago.  They were on again last night.

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

Really?  Don't think so.  Why do you think everyone is selling them?  Even Tara from Temptations.  It is a big money maker.  That is my opinion and I am sticking with it. 

So Tara from Temptations is selling masks.  And pretty much everyone else.  So what?  Yes, it's a big money maker for lots of companies, and for some struggling to survive it's how they've kept their businesses from collapsing completely.  For others it's been an unexpected windfall.

@NYC Susan  This wasn't about the Science.  This was about them starting a great Christmas Show with masks.  I said earlier that if they shown them later in the presentation, it might not have set people off.  I personally don't care when they sell them, I will not be buying anymore.  It has become a big money maker along with hand sanitizer, rubber gloves, etc.   Yes, some need this stuff but show it at a better time.  The Christmas show was so pumped up and I think most people don't need to be reminded of Covid all the time. 

If I watch a Christmas show it is not to buy masks.  That is my opinion. 

Esteemed Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

@NYC Susan  This wasn't about the Science.  This was about them starting a great Christmas Show with masks.  I said earlier that if they shown them later in the presentation, it might not have set people off.  I personally don't care when they sell them, I will not be buying anymore.  It has become a big money maker along with hand sanitizer, rubber gloves, etc.   Yes, some need this stuff but show it at a better time.  The Christmas show was so pumped up and I think most people don't need to be reminded of Covid all the time. 

Yes, I saw that post, but I was replying to something else you said.. And that's not all you've said

One of your previous posts:  "Masks are a big money maker for all.  This is why I have two and they are the only two I will buy.   The longer everyone keeps buying these, the order will never be llifted IMO."    

So clearly you think mask-wearing is not really necessary, but rather is driven by the desire of companies to make money.  We've been told to wear masks for reasons related to science, & research done by experienced doctors, epidemiologists, etc.  You're entitled to your opinion, but IMO it's ridiculous to suggest that masks would no longer be required if people simply stopped buying them. 

Honored Contributor

@StopTalking wrote:

Watching David's Christmas show last night. I could not believe that they opened the show with Face Masks!...are you kidding me. Don't they realise that people want to escape from whats going on in the world.  Once again, are you kidding me!!!!

Seriously?  Q will sell what is being purchased.  If you want to escape from real life, find a channel that shows fiction.

Super Contributor

I am an RN, and only wear my cloth mask when running into someplace quick (less than 5 minutes), or walking to sit down at a restaurant (I only dine outdoors right now).  My cloth masks do have a filter pocket.

I generally wear a surgical mask (have N95 masks too) for longer "exposures", although those usually only happen at work (I still get my groceries delivered, did that even before the pandemic) or when I had my mammogram and well woman exam.    

Esteemed Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Teddixat wrote:

Yes, I saw that post, but I was replying to something else you said.. And that's not all you've said

One of your previous posts:  "Masks are a big money maker for all.  This is why I have two and they are the only two I will buy.   The longer everyone keeps buying these, the order will never be llifted IMO."    

So clearly you think mask-wearing is not really necessary, but rather is driven by the desire of companies to make money.  We've been told to wear masks for reasons related to science, & research done by experienced doctors, epidemiologists, etc.  You're entitled to your opinion, but IMO it's ridiculous to suggest that masks would no longer be required if people simply stopped buying them. 

@NYC Susan It is a big money in my opinion.  Why do you thing every vener is making them?  I think people should wear them and yes we have a Pandemic going on BUT too many are taking the mask thing way too far and not doing other things.   Not here to argue about it.  I wear one when I have to but won't wear one outside when I am alone and not near anyone like some do.  The thing with masks is that they can be bad and cause other issues.   Don't think that they are not making big money off masks because they are.