Valued Contributor

What's your opinion on untraditional colors for holiday decor?

On QVC's home page they're featuring aqua colored pumpkins. They're very pretty & they would go with my existing decor. But, I don't know...is it weird to have aqua pumpkins during Fall? I kind of think Autumn should be traditional Autumn colors & Christmas should be traditional Christmas colors. What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: What's your opinion on untraditional colors for holiday decor?

@Sweet Kitties  - The aqua color is pretty and unexpected.  I'm on the fence. 

Trusted Contributor

Last year I did all mauve, cream, and soft beige with some plum thrown in. It was gorgeous. I am going to do it again this year.

Honored Contributor

My mom used to do the Xmas in green and blue when I wasa a kid--my dad even tinted the spray snow to match--once it was green and once it was blue--am ok with the unusal colors for Xmas however--am a 100% purist when it comes to fall--HAS to be fall colors!! No aqua pumpkins for me!!!!

Valued Contributor

MG Chris, that sounds so pretty. I could see how those colors would work in a Fall decor.

Honored Contributor

@MG Chris wrote:

Last year I did all mauve, cream, and soft beige with some plum thrown in. It was gorgeous. I am going to do it again this year.

@MG Chris Sounds beautiful!  Why not do it if you love it?

Traditional is not the same to everyone.  My mom did white trees with turquoise and magenta balls.  I still don't care for red and green.

Many houses in our neighborhood now decorate with aqua colored lights and we love it! We also love the traditional blue ones.  

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Kitties,  I think it's fine to go with what appeals to you the most.  I like both traditional color combos for holidays, AND non-traditional ones.   Sometimes hard to choose which direction to go in!

Esteemed Contributor

While I tend toward traditional fall colors I don't mind some unique colors mixed in.  

I have also done themed Christmas trees and appreciate creativity.  So whatever you enjoy, go for it.  

Esteemed Contributor

If it matches your decor I don't see a problem if you veer off a bit with the colors.  I stay pretty traditional for most seasons, I have mostly neurtral colors in my home.  Whatever you like and makes you happy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I think you should buy what you love!

Traditional colors are great but mixing it up with colors that match your decor sounds like fun.

Take a chance!!