Valued Contributor

Re: What’s with the hosts holding glasses of wine?

I agree that it's an odd sales tactic. Not everyone at home is a hot mess in their PJs drinking wine. They are trying to appeal to a demographic that is not likely to buy the items they are selling. 

The only other shopping channel I watch is HSN and their selling tactics are not like QVC at all. The hosts are generally calm, well-dressed, and don't go off on tangents telling stories. They let the vendors speak and demonstrate the product. I don't know how other shopping channels do it but this is much more watchable for me, who tends to keep the TV on in the background. 

Trusted Contributor

They have to have something to talk about because they sure do not talk about what they are selling.
Contributor

Agreed.  It's stupid not glamorous.  And stupid to the point of making me not even want to watch the presentation, and consequently, not purchasing an item I may have otherwise considered.  All the wine drinking just turns me off to the whole show.  They should only have hosts drinking/tasting wine during a presentation where wine is the item being sold.  That is relevant. 

Trusted Contributor

I just finished watching Jane & Courtney on FriYay, they both had glasses of "wine" which neither of them drank the entire show. At one point Jane was sitting holding hers throughout the entire presentation with D&Co. At the end of the show they both toasted good night but still didn't drink, Just silly and unnecessary!

Honored Contributor

I don't believe it is wine. Probably grape juice. Why waste wine when no one can drink it. Fake!

Contributor

I completely agree.  I posted something similar awhile back. It just looks awkward. 

Super Contributor

During COVID, suicides and drug/alcohol use went up exponentially.  Not a good idea, QVC.

Trusted Contributor

@lizzief  The constant referencing of drinking wine on their time off and holding glasses of" wine" while selling a product is silly, tacky and in poor taste isn't it. Has nothing to do with selling the product. A few weeks ago Lisa Robertson, Antonella and A jewelry buyer David did a video on youtube mostly about Antonellas condition and shared stories of being employed at qvc and so forth. Lisa R. made a statement toward the end of her time the show was being scripted and she was told what to say.  She said she was pressed to say things like I own this when she did not or to make false claims about a product. She said she was emphatic she would not say things that were not true. The wine thins imp. another tacky thing the q does. And why does Kourtney K always constantly look like she is smiling at therself in the monitor like she is in love with herself or the cat that ate the canary.

Occasional Contributor

I don't like the alcohol drinking...looks so unprofessional!
Trusted Contributor

They are hoping you will buy some and drink it watching the shows, it's the only way you can get through some of the shows lol