Trusted Contributor

Re: What's with all the coughing today?

A couple of the hosts yesterday should have stayed home.  I don't know how they felt, but they didn't sound good at all.  Better to stay home and get well.

Honored Contributor

Just as a FYI example of things that happen in the workplace -

I had a sore throat and cold at a time when it was "going around" in our office. My supervisor was away. The acting supervisor had no use whatever for my dept. Due to others being sick or on vacation/day off, I couldn't stay home. But I had a 98% laryngitis and was, effectively, mute for all intents and purposes.

I went to the doctor because of my very sore throat, who of course said I should be home in bed. I explained to her that wasn't an option for me, but asked her if she would write me a note saying "no phones" until my voice returned, which she gladly did. Fully 65-70% of my job, with no other co-workers around, was phones - where people would literally become annoyed/angry with me because I had no voice and they couldn't understand me.

I came to work. I gave the acting supv the note. She was furious and just about refused to accept it. I told her I'd be happy to go home, and/or share my note with Employee Health if that was required. Oh, nononoooooo! So she and her cohorts answered the frickin' phones (which rang every 5 min all day long) while I tried to function feeling like death warmed over. There was never any appreciation expressed from anyone for me dragging my bu** in there, only anger that how dare I not be a fully functional, germ-free robot.

This was in a hospital.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Seasonal allergies. I live an hour and a half away from Westchester in Maryland and it is our Fall allergy season.