Contributor

Re: What's in Your Shopping Cart is NOT Yours Until Checkout is Complete.

Hi geezerette! That has happened to me, too. I rarely cancel an order, but recently I did try to change one and discovered that, even with Customer Service help, that is impossible very quickly.

Trusted Contributor

I always assumed that was the case.  Obviously those who pay first get the item.

Honored Contributor

It's a change, not a recent one for Evine and ShopLC.  They are constantly reminding shoppers that the item isn't ours until we have closed out our shopping carts.  I don't know if it's one hour, I think it's by the end of that particular show.  I do think it's fair because the customer who really wants the item is willing to pay for it...should get that item. People who want think and ponder and discuss often don't buy it and the item has to go back into inventory.  Like it or not, the shopping channel industry is changing, they are acting more like the retailers they are than a ladie's club.  I watch much of QVC and HSN so I don't know if they do a good job of warnng customers that the item isn't theirs until they close out their shopping cart.  I think for every customer like you who wants to hold onto things in her shopping cart for a while; there's a customer who knows what she wants and is bummed out when the thing she is willing to buy now is "sold out" when it fact, some of it really isn't sold out.

Contributor

Hi NJgirl 1205! That was never the case at QVC. They were IMO the "friendlier" retailer - no pressure. Like I mentioned earleri, it seems more reasonable to be able to "virutally" stroll around with the items in my cart secure, while I am still shopping the site. It played a big part in why I preferred QVC.

Contributor

Hi Chrystaltree - thanks for your opinion. I am not looking for a "Lady's Club", but I do like to make "considered" decisions. I a do spend a lot of money at the Q. For me personally this puts QVC in the "just like so many others" category, and opens the online shopping door (to look elswhere) a good bit wider.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't believe there really ever was a policy to "hold" items for customers while they were completing the checkout process—QVC has never had technology that sophisticated, and that approach would be impractical from a sales standpoint because A) it would be extremely difficult to track available inventory from two separate pools and B) there would be fewer guaranteed purchases. Online shopping is a "first come, first served" business.

However, it is true that your online cart will maintain a placeholder for an item for an hour before moving it from the active checkout to the "My Saved Items" portion of the cart—unless the item sells out during that time, in which case it is automatically moved and has a "SOLD OUT" label attached to the placeholder. This process is simply a courtesy, not a promise of goods/services.

Respected Contributor

IMO 1 hour is not a unreasonable amount of time to "hold" something. i do not believe they should be able to take something out of your cart within that hour.

now correct me if i'm wrong, but don't some people do a hold type thing by putting it on check status?  

or has that policy been revised, and if it's on a check hold, they can sell it out from under you? i've never been quite sure about that. 

Trusted Contributor

@GAQShopr53 wrote:

@Southern Sarah I truly understand how you feel....just last night I had a ring in my shopping cart (Evine) and went to place the matching earrings and the cart was empty Smiley LOL I was done...I really wanted the ring so now I know to check out if something is selling fast!

Evine has always warned you to check out your cart, didn't  know qvc did the same

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

IMO 1 hour is not a unreasonable amount of time to "hold" something. i do not believe they should be able to take something out of your cart within that hour.

now correct me if i'm wrong, but don't some people do a hold type thing by putting it on check status?  

or has that policy been revised, and if it's on a check hold, they can sell it out from under you? i've never been quite sure about that. 

I never held onto things in my shopping cart but admit that once upon a time, I would use the pay by check option to give myself time to think and make a decision.  If I decided I wanted the item, I called CS and had them charge my CC.  If I didn't want it, I cancelled it.  But QVC closed that loop hole a long time ago.  I don't know if they even hold the check items for any length of time, I do know that until that check actually comes in, they will sell that item out from under you.  It ticked me off but it is fair.  Why should the retailer pass up a sure sale for for the hope that someone will send in their check.

Contributor

Sorry, loriqvc - You are wrong about that. Athough I don't use the forums often, I have been around a very long time. Your item was always securely yours in your shopping cart, as long as you kept it active (moving merchandise in or out in a 1 hour time period). I was almost always a sure sale, I just needed time to make the BEST decision - we are talking about buying clothing/shoes online (with, unfortunately, inconsistent sizing). I do my best to avoid return.. Like I said before, I will not shop under pressure. It is not enjoyable, and I am not desperate. I have options both online, and in brick and mortar stores. I have shopped for around 20 years without "backorders", many times for items that "sold out". Thanks for your feedback.