Honored Contributor

Re: What's in Your Shopping Cart is NOT Yours Until Checkout is Complete.

It is not any different than going to the store.  The customer that gets there first and buys the product gets it.  Why does anyone think an item should remain in their cart until you decide to hit the buy button?  On line shopping is not for the wishy-washy.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

What you are describing I think only happens when you are purchasing items that they are showing on air.Many times I just go on QV website and look for certain things,like Anybody Clothing. I put things in my cart and shop some more and then I get a phone call or something else happens.My stuff is still in the cart sometimes after 1hr.I believe this is because there is no one shopping for those items at that time.I believe  it most likely happens when the item is being showed or very popular...If I happen to not go back,QVC will send me an e-amil and ask me Are you still interested in these items?..

Trusted Contributor

I have to say based on the title of your Post that it is just plain logic that an order needs to be paid for to consider it yours.

On air they can estimate remaining merchandise based on number of people on phone lines or items in shopping carts.  It is all first come first serve.  I can't expect that a company will "hold" an item for me because I placed it in my shopping cart without paying for it.  I can't walk into a B&M store and put an item in a cart and walk away for a few hours expecting the item to be still waiting for me to purchase.  Once you hesitate there is someone else ready to swoop in and  grab it.

Respected Contributor

No B & M store will have 2 people wanting the same item & one just wants it held until she makes up her mind & one has cash in hand ready to buy. You are not going to tell the person that is ready to make the purchase to come back in an hour to see if the other one wants it.

Contributor

Dear loriqvc - I dont want to argue, either - however, I do know for a fact thst there has been a change.

If it does not bother you - fine. It makes me feel rushed to shop an item on air or something like a lunchtime special. I don't like that feeling, so I will be shopping much less.

I started the post (my first time to start, because I wanted to let others (that might care) know what it took me awhile to find out.

One good thing about HSN is that they will send you out another size/color immediately (without waiting to receive your exchange) - unless they have ended that perk.  Doesn't really matter  who owns who - the companies are linked now, so we may see other changes between the two.

Contributor

Respectlife - i respect your right to disagree. I know for a fact that in the past a customer had the right to buy the item (without it being sould out from under you) once it was put in the shopping cart FOR AN HOUR - or longer if your cart had activity (moving something else in or out).

It took me quite a while to find out about the change. I kept thinking I was getting "backorders" due to QVC overselling the product. That is why I made the phone call to custtomer service.

I thought that other long time frequent customers should know about the change.  I started the post for those who did not know, and, like me, might care.

BTW the customer service rep did not agree with me to end the call. I asked her what the policy was. At first she did not know, but she make an effort for me and found out.

I did not ask her to remove the "backorder status". I know better than that, and I would not do that.

Contributor

Hi Montana!  I agree with you - QVC can do what they want, but the policy should be cleariy out in the open - especially when it is changed.

I do feel they have taken a step backwards though. Even at Amazon on "lightening deals" you have 15 minutes to make up your mind.  During that time frame, they will not sell the item out from under you.

I have enjoyed shopping at QVC, but I want time to check reviews/sizes, etc.  I do not enjoy feeling the panic of, "oh no, I may lose my item if I donn't rush".  Also, they hardly give you any time to cancel an order anymore. I am not saying that I will never shop on the site again. But since I do not like to be disappointed, I will not shop nearly as often.

BTW it took them a good 2 days to even send me an email letting me know that me order went to backorder.  In this day and time that IMO should not happen.

Contributor

Dear Imaoldhippie - EXACTLY!  IT SHOULD BE LIKE AT THE STORE!  Can you take an item out of my shopping cart there?

Like in the pas, we should have a reasonable amount of time to read reviews, look at size charts, etc.

If you knew how much I have spent at QVC, you would not think that I am a "wishy-washy" shopper.

Contributor

Hi Alexa6352 - it has only been recently (this year) that things will stay in your cart longer than an hour.  I, too, recently got a call and found out.

I assume that changed at the same time as the policy of giving you an hour to make a final decision.

Contributor

Hi mimom - the point of my post was to let others know who, like myself, find this change troubling.  I would have like to known earlier.

I can, and do walk into brick and mortar stores and walk around with my shopping cart without fear that someone is going to take something out of my cart. And, for that matter I do not pay for each item separately - which is what QVC is in effect asking us to do, if we have to complete each order quickly (for fear of losing it).

Of course, I do not abandon the cart - in the store or at home.  Most of the time I am sitting right at my computer just trying to make the right decision.  I do hate returning items!

And, I certainly was not asking QVC to allow me to walk away from my online shopping cart for hours (and hold an item for me).  It is just that I was very happy with the way things were handled before someone decided to change it.