Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is happening with Shawn?

I find it just bizarre that people find it necessary to check up on and follow the personal life of a shopping channel host.   Questioning where they are if they are not seen for a few days, speculating on engagements and pregnancies.  Just so,strange to me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KathyPet wrote:

I find it just bizarre that people find it necessary to check up on and follow the personal life of a shopping channel host.   Questioning where they are if they are not seen for a few days, speculating on engagements and pregnancies.  Just so,strange to me.

Agreed!  It leans toward stalker-ish.....a sick fascination with these hosts.

Respected Contributor

I don't waste a moment's thought to TV shopping channel's employees' private lives. I don't know these people, probably will never meet them, so I don't care what's going on with them.  I feel the same about celebs and the royals.  My family and friends are who I think and care about.

Respected Contributor

I felt sorry for Shawn lately.  She is so hoarse! I hope she gets better soon.

Trusted Contributor

After that comment, I'm sure she would be happy not marrying into your family, what an absolutely mean and insensitive comment to make. I don't understand why YOU or others blame Shawn.  I think the Q knows exactly what they're doing by having Shawn present inspirational jewelry because of all the tragedies in her life.  

Antonella also does inspirational jewelry and I remember not too long ago while she was presenting a piece of jewelry she became so upset she couldn't talk and asked the vendor to finish the presentation.  She then was telling the producer in her ear not to talk to her about how many were sold or anything else until after the vendor finished the presentation, that's how overcome she was.  We are all different and it shows that some of us become emotional because it truly hits home.   I don't think Shawn would continue with selling this jewelry if the Q didn't promote or okay it.

Esteemed Contributor

Shawn is crass in her story telling to sell merchandise. She does it no matter what she's selling, be it pillows or shoes. On shoes we heard it for ages about her serious foot problems and how she was going broke paying her podiatrist, while selling the best shoes in the world, Orthoheels. Her foot problems disappeared when she began PM Style. All her skin problems, her sleeping problems, all of them solved by the product she's selling. You have to have a very good memory if you're going to sell by lying. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like Shawn but sometimes she borders on political incorrectness but I think she is a good person and well liked by other hosts, vendors and the models.  I am not a fan of inspirational jewelry and would not be compelled to buy the pieces based on someone's personal story.  But, it resonates with some people and if it helps them in some way, well, I don't see the harm.  I think QVC shoppers are very savvy and know what they want and like and would not buy because of a story.  I am sure Shawn's sales figures are high or she would not have such prominent shows.  I personally feel it is not politically correct to sell religious jewelry unless you sell a wide variety covering all religions and I am surprised there isn't some type of criticism from viewers.  It doesn't offend me but I worked in a very politically correct office in NYC and we were very cautious during Christmas using terms like "holiday" rather than Christmas.  I have my own opinions on that but am surprised QVC isn't under more scrutiny.  HSN as well. 

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

I like Shawn but sometimes she borders on political incorrectness but I think she is a good person and well liked by other hosts, vendors and the models.  I am not a fan of inspirational jewelry and would not be compelled to buy the pieces based on someone's personal story.  But, it resonates with some people and if it helps them in some way, well, I don't see the harm.  I think QVC shoppers are very savvy and know what they want and like and would not buy because of a story.  I am sure Shawn's sales figures are high or she would not have such prominent shows.  I personally feel it is not politically correct to sell religious jewelry unless you sell a wide variety covering all religions and I am surprised there isn't some type of criticism from viewers.  It doesn't offend me but I worked in a very politically correct office in NYC and we were very cautious during Christmas using terms like "holiday" rather than Christmas.  I have my own opinions on that but am surprised QVC isn't under more scrutiny.  HSN as well. 

You keep saying that you're surprised that the PC police don't complain about the religious presentations. I think you know very well that the demographics, in general, support such presentations. If they didn't, guess what? There would not be such presentations.  QVC is a corporation, not a religious entity. It cares about one thing and one thing only -- the bottom line.

A viewer who does not agree or does not enjoy such shows probably does what I do.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

You keep saying that you're surprised that the PC police don't complain about the religious presentations. I think you know very well that the demographics, in general, support such presentations. If they didn't, guess what? There would not be such presentations.  QVC is a corporation, not a religious entity. It cares about one thing and one thing only -- the bottom line.

A viewer who does not agree or does not enjoy such shows probably does what I do.

I'd add to what Suzy said that unlike a political or corporate entity, retailers are selling goods to customers. They don't always have to try appeal to the beliefs and attitudes of diverse groups to maintain their role. As was noted, if and when they feel they need to change it up to cast a wider net, they'll probably do so. That said, and as has been made clear earlier, I don't favor the sorts of presentations that appear to be increasingly commonplace on QVC. Then again, I'm now watching so little of their programming that it really isn't a major factor for me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

I'm a little sick of this political correct bull.  Many years ago none of this went on but all of a sudden people are offended by saying Christmas or not allowed to say God in the Pledge of Allegiance?  We no longer are allowed to say Chinese Auction, now we have to say Tricky Tray because a certain group of people were offended.  I just don't understand any of this, today everyone's offended by something and things must change.  

Sorry but the most important thing about Christmas, is it is the day Jesus was born and we Catholics/Christians celebrate his birth on that day.  It seems people forget that and instead make it all just about gifts and decorating.  I'm certainly not saying that I'm against exchanging gifts or decorating but we also must remember the true meaning of Christmas.