Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is happening with Shawn?

@Adelina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Suhse wrote:

Some people are very open and sharing, when they're going thru hard times.  Sometimes, it's a kind of coping mechanism for them.  They need to talk  about it.  

Other people are extremely private;  they could be living a nightmare, you'd never hear anything from them. I suppose most of us are somewhere in between. 

The Host's are probably pretty much the same. Some of them may over share, but I doubt any of them set out to use personal problems or tragedy, to sell.  

We are talking about people on the job, though; right?

Yes, I'm sure that QVC encourages the whole "We're all a big family" meme. I just think that some employees take that encouragement a bit too far. Most don't.

But I absolutely do think that personal details are used quite often to increase sales.  An on-air presentation should not involve sad personal moments or personal problems or, for that matter, overt religious sentiments beyond a simple mention if selling an article of faith.

It's called manipulation. If it were a movie, it would be labeled a tear-jerker.

ITA!  I am getting sooooo tired of the disingenuous use of personal problems in any sales. It smacks of desperate salesmanship and "look at me", and in my opinion, diminishes the message.

But, don't most charities play on emotions.  I can't watch the ASPCA, St Jude's, Shriners Hospital and the recent one about cancer, maybe Cancer Centers of America.  I love animals, kids and have many friends fighting cancer or have lost loved ones from it. It works because I give but the audience is being manipulated.  And a cause is not a sale, I know and the donations are helping people but it works for QVC too because if someone is having a very hard time and something resonates with them said by Shawn, then, they will purchase the item being sold...and, if it helps them, who am I to say? So sales are probably good, QVC makes money and maybe some person in need of inspiration is helped...what's the bad part?  Shawn is doing her job and so do charities

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Suhse wrote:

Some people are very open and sharing, when they're going thru hard times.  Sometimes, it's a kind of coping mechanism for them.  They need to talk  about it.  

Other people are extremely private;  they could be living a nightmare, you'd never hear anything from them. I suppose most of us are somewhere in between. 

The Host's are probably pretty much the same. Some of them may over share, but I doubt any of them set out to use personal problems or tragedy, to sell.  

Yes, I'm sure that QVC encourages the whole "We're all a big family" meme. I just think that some employees take that encouragement a bit too far. Most don't.

But I absolutely do think that personal details are used quite often to increase sales.  An on-air presentation should not involve sad personal moments or personal problems or, for that matter, overt religious sentiments beyond a simple mention if selling an article of faith.

It's called manipulation. If it were a movie, it would be labeled a tear-jerker.

ITA!  I am getting sooooo tired of the disingenuous use of personal problems in any sales. It smacks of desperate salesmanship and "look at me", and in my opinion, diminishes the message.

But, don't most charities play on emotions.  I can't watch the ASPCA, St Jude's, Shriners Hospital and the recent one about cancer, maybe Cancer Centers of America.  I love animals, kids and have many friends fighting cancer or have lost loved ones from it. It works because I give but the audience is being manipulated.  And a cause is not a sale, I know and the donations are helping people but it works for QVC too because if someone is having a very hard time and something resonates with them said by Shawn, then, they will purchase the item being sold...and, if it helps them, who am I to say? So sales are probably good, QVC makes money and maybe some person in need of inspiration is helped...what's the bad part?  Shawn is doing her job and so do charities

For me, there's a very real difference between a charity trying to pull at our heartstrings to generate donations to help the people or animals they're trying to help and QVC playing the grief card to generate profit. What's next, pushing her out there in a wheel chair with an IV pole, or incorporating orphans into the presentations?  

I have never had an issue with hosts introducing reasonable snippets of their personal lives into their on-air time. It's an effort to draw us in and have us identify with the host. For me, though, I draw the line with what feels like a real lack of integrity. The purpose of a presentation is to show an item and make it seem desirable enough for viewers to want to purchase. It all goes back to QVC offering a mix of products people want to buy. To the extent they do that a solid presentation will allow the product to sell itself. To feel it's acceptable to use illness and death as a means to make a product appear to be appealing just cheapens the overall operation. Certainly, different individuals perceive this sales tactic in different ways, but make no mistake about it, it is a sales tactic and it's one that I personally find to be beyond the pale.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Suhse wrote:

For me, there's a very real difference between a charity trying to pull at our heartstrings to generate donations to help the people or animals they're trying to help and QVC playing the grief card to generate profit. What's next, pushing her out there in a wheel chair with an IV pole, or incorporating orphans into the presentations?  

I have never had an issue with hosts introducing reasonable snippets of their personal lives into their on-air time. It's an effort to draw us in and have us identify with the host. For me, though, I draw the line with what feels like a real lack of integrity. The purpose of a presentation is to show an item and make it seem desirable enough for viewers to want to purchase. It all goes back to QVC offering a mix of products people want to buy. To the extent they do that a solid presentation will allow the product to sell itself. To feel it's acceptable to use illness and death as a means to make a product appear to be appealing just cheapens the overall operation. Certainly, different individuals perceive this sales tactic in different ways, but make no mistake about it, it is a sales tactic and it's one that I personally find to be beyond the pale.

I agree a charity is very different but the tactic is the same.  If I just get a flyer, it doesn't feel the same but if I see people suffering, it resonates with me; I find it hard to watch because it personalizes the cause with a face or name.  Some people may be very lonely and feel desolate and have no support so if Shawn's stories hit a nerve, they purchase a piece and it gives them hope or consolation, then, it does someone good.  There is no harm to it.  Shawn makes it personal to them.  I don't wear nor would I buy inspirational jewelry but some do.  I agree it is a sales tactic and I bet a very good one because I question the political correctness of the whole approach.  My point being, we can chose not to buy, watch or listen but if it helps someone really hurting, then, I am glad for them and yes, QVC is making money on their disparity but it is the viewers choice. 

Honored Contributor

@Stray, We can certainly agree that it's always an individual choice whether to watch or buy. I've solved this matter for myself by doing neither when this sort of sales ploy is employed... When it is, off it goes. I find it rather shameful, but that's just my opinion...

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb  I agree with your sentiments as well.  I usually just leave the room.  I guess being a nurse comes into play.  If it helps someone who needs it, I am ok with it.  I think it's like a friend of mine who goes for psychic readings...I find it to be like snake oil but it really makes her happy and it isn't hurting her but it rather dominates her life.  I mean if she were told to stop treatment for cancer, I couldn't condone it and would step in. 

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

I don't object to Shawn telling heartfelt stories while selling inspirational jewelry if it helps some and if it bothered me, I just would turn the volume down or change the channel.  But, the big but I have and I don't feel this way personally.  I am curious as to political correctness.  In the corporate world, we had to be so careful even when donating to a charity i.e. The Salvation Army, Catholic Charities and our CEO was criticized for a personal donation to a Greek Orthodox organization.  Atheists object to nativity scenes and God is eliminated in the Pledge of Allegience.  QVC and HSN and to some extent Evine get very specific re their religious pieces.  All faiths do not have Miraculous Medals, crosses or a Star of David (which is rare).  I don't feel this way but how does QVC manage to present religious pieces without the scrutiny of the politically correct police.  I am just curious as we had to be so careful in my former workplace which tho a fortune 100 would be considered conservative but always under scrutiny. 

@Stray

I understand your use of "political correctness" even if I don't agree with you on its merits. I happen to enjoy a bit more sensitivity to those who don't necessarily fit into the box.

I think you can sell jewelry devoted to a specific faith without going overboard with religious context. Most of the hosts are quite capable in that respect. To suggest that if someone doesn't like a more emotional tug at the heart, they should change the channel is, IMO, a simplistic answer. Of course they should not listen or watch, but they still can  post about it here.

Also, you're conflating a few very different issues in your post.  Comparing shopping channels to charities is a false analogy here. But more important is your "Atheists object to nativity scenes and God is eliminated in the Pledge of Allegience:

Atheists (along with many who who follow a religious path) do not object to nativity scenes on private property. The objection is when they are on government property or associated with such. They believe in the separation of Church and State; they believe that we are not a theocracy.

And the word "God" has not been eliminated from the Pledge of Allegiance. Of course, I'm sure you know that it was added relatively recently. It became part of the Pledge in 1954, at the height of anti-Communist fervor.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3  Respectfully, always....I am not agreeing with political correctness, I was asking a question.   In the corporate world, which is private, we were held to a very high standard of political correctness.  QVC is a large, wealthy company and I was wondering how they managed not to be scrutinized by some group and we were, often.

I know I was there for the pledge as well but in some schools under God has been removed from the pledge and there have been lawsuits initiated by families who feel their children's rights are ignored as God is a part of their lives.  My solution would be for children just have the option not or to utter God's name. I understand atheists are referring to public areas but it has spilled over to Corporate America where I worked for the last 28 years.  No religion is celebrated and symbols not displayed during the holidays because the ACLU became involved.  My Company was not public.  In my condo, we have only plants at holiday time because of letter received by our Board from a civil rights attorney objecting to a Christmas tree and Hanukkah candles in our lobby and I do not live in a public building.  In my Town, they did not yield but put up every religion's symbols during the appropriate holiday time.  We have a large Muslim and Christian population but all religions are observed.

I stated I was not comparing charities to a shopping channel but the psychological method used to convince you to give or buy.  I have worked for charitable organizations for years and top notch advertising firms are hired and they test the emotional response of the viewer.  QVC has a segment of the population that responds to Shawn's heartfelt stories.  I am not offended by them but more unaffected as I am not their target audience  so I will leave to do something or am distracted because I am not buying inspirational jewelry.  In the end, some person may be helped because Shawn's story resonates with them, QVC makes money and all ends well....it is Capitolism....that's how it works...with charities, they get the necessary funds or volunteers to find cures and help people as they must but the psychological mechanism in advertising is the same.  

Frequent Contributor

sorry for her loss but I was hoping someone had told her to get her hair out of her eyes

its pretty annoying i turn the channel when she's on.

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@suzyQ3  Respectfully, always....I am not agreeing with political correctness, I was asking a question.   In the corporate world, which is private, we were held to a very high standard of political correctness.  QVC is a large, wealthy company and I was wondering how they managed not to be scrutinized by some group and we were, often.

I know I was there for the pledge as well but in some schools under God has been removed from the pledge and there have been lawsuits initiated by families who feel their children's rights are ignored as God is a part of their lives.  My solution would be for children just have the option not or to utter God's name. I understand atheists are referring to public areas but it has spilled over to Corporate America where I worked for the last 28 years.  No religion is celebrated and symbols not displayed during the holidays because the ACLU became involved.  My Company was not public.  In my condo, we have only plants at holiday time because of letter received by our Board from a civil rights attorney objecting to a Christmas tree and Hanukkah candles in our lobby and I do not live in a public building.  In my Town, they did not yield but put up every religion's symbols during the appropriate holiday time.  We have a large Muslim and Christian population but all religions are observed.

I stated I was not comparing charities to a shopping channel but the psychological method used to convince you to give or buy.  I have worked for charitable organizations for years and top notch advertising firms are hired and they test the emotional response of the viewer.  QVC has a segment of the population that responds to Shawn's heartfelt stories.  I am not offended by them but more unaffected as I am not their target audience  so I will leave to do something or am distracted because I am not buying inspirational jewelry.  In the end, some person may be helped because Shawn's story resonates with them, QVC makes money and all ends well....it is Capitolism....that's how it works...with charities, they get the necessary funds or volunteers to find cures and help people as they must but the psychological mechanism in advertising is the same.  

Yes, my solution when I was a student was not to say "God." Even if I had been religious, I would have done the same. I don't think that it belongs in public schools or any other public function. That is my belief, pun intended.

Anyone can initiate a lawsuit. But that doesn't mean that it will survive the legal process. I don't know the rules or legal standing regarding apartment buildings or condos.

"In my Town, they did not yield but put up every religion's symbols during the appropriate holiday time.  We have a large Muslim and Christian population but all religions are observed."

Good solution. In some areas, they decide to have none. Either way, it's preferable, IMO, than to have the symbols of only one religion.

As an aside, not really to you: I some of Shawn's couple hours today. She is using the death and illlness of family members pretty much as the theme. That tells me that it is QVC, not the host herself, who is promoting this kind of sales tactic. I find it to be in supremely bad taste.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Suhse wrote:

True. But the charities and hospitals are playing on our emotions in order to help PEOPLE, but the Q does it mostly to help their BOTTOM LINE.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~