Honored Contributor

Re: What is happening with Shawn?

I also meant to say at the outset that I absolutely don't feel Pat did anything inappropriate nor did she do anyone a disservice by explaining why she was filling in for Shawn, who has made no secret of her situation. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I think that it was perfectly okay for Pat to mention it on the air. I am sure she checked with Shawn first. There are many of us who don't follow Shawn on social media. I am sorry for her loss.

Of all the hosts, Shawn does not keep anything private. Lol.
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I also meant to say at the outset that I absolutely don't feel Pat did anything inappropriate nor did she do anyone a disservice by explaining why she was filling in for Shawn, who has made no secret of her situation. 

Yes, I agree. My first post on this thread may have sounded as if there was something wrong with making such an announcement but was really more about the issue of using personal stuff to help sales.

This host was obviously just making an announcement, not incorporating it into any presentation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

don't kill Pat the Messenger....she did nothing wrong seeing SK has had a blog, FB posts, story time during her product presentations about her Father in Law. We all know the story....I'm sure we will be seeing a religious themed jewelry item in the pipeline over this in about 6mos

Honored Contributor

We all have personal problems and setbacks in our lives, and we learn to cope with them. If you're a public figure-- especially if you're trying to sell something-- l don't think it's appropriate to share your personal problems and tragedies with your audience.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

Shawn is all about Shawn: very glad she never married into my family.

The last thing I would want is for someone to tell stories of very private, sad family situations to do a sell of stuff.

Respected Contributor

I would be very happy to have Shawn to be part of my family. A lady who has compassion for family and friends what more could I ask for. Yes she would be a welcomed member here at this home.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Suhse wrote:

Some people are very open and sharing, when they're going thru hard times.  Sometimes, it's a kind of coping mechanism for them.  They need to talk  about it.  

Other people are extremely private;  they could be living a nightmare, you'd never hear anything from them. I suppose most of us are somewhere in between. 

The Host's are probably pretty much the same. Some of them may over share, but I doubt any of them set out to use personal problems or tragedy, to sell.  

We are talking about people on the job, though; right?

Yes, I'm sure that QVC encourages the whole "We're all a big family" meme. I just think that some employees take that encouragement a bit too far. Most don't.

But I absolutely do think that personal details are used quite often to increase sales.  An on-air presentation should not involve sad personal moments or personal problems or, for that matter, overt religious sentiments beyond a simple mention if selling an article of faith.

It's called manipulation. If it were a movie, it would be labeled a tear-jerker.

ITA!  I am getting sooooo tired of the disingenuous use of personal problems in any sales. It smacks of desperate salesmanship and "look at me", and in my opinion, diminishes the message.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Esteemed Contributor

I don't object to Shawn telling heartfelt stories while selling inspirational jewelry if it helps some and if it bothered me, I just would turn the volume down or change the channel.  But, the big but I have and I don't feel this way personally.  I am curious as to political correctness.  In the corporate world, we had to be so careful even when donating to a charity i.e. The Salvation Army, Catholic Charities and our CEO was criticized for a personal donation to a Greek Orthodox organization.  Atheists object to nativity scenes and God is eliminated in the Pledge of Allegience.  QVC and HSN and to some extent Evine get very specific re their religious pieces.  All faiths do not have Miraculous Medals, crosses or a Star of David (which is rare).  I don't feel this way but how does QVC manage to present religious pieces without the scrutiny of the politically correct police.  I am just curious as we had to be so careful in my former workplace which tho a fortune 100 would be considered conservative but always under scrutiny. 

Esteemed Contributor

@cater wrote:

AS for vacations one of the hosts said that they have to get in all their vacations time in before the last quarter of the year because when the holiday time starts they are to be there at QVC. So I would imagine if a person has alot of years in working at QVC they are going to have more time off for vacation time.

True plus some trips were just long weekends to places you can get to easily.