Valued Contributor

Re: What happened to the calm, soothing Valerie Parr-Hill?

I live in a very small town. No HomeGoods or Michael's. We have a very small TJ Maxx and I think their prices are outrageous. Not much of a selection either.

Honored Contributor

On 5/10/2014 maryebrown said:
On 5/10/2014 Ford1224 said:

Talk about a phony (other thread). I always thought she was a phony. No one could be that "genteel" and be real.

She's never been "my cup of tea". The first time I watched her, I thought I was going into a diabetic coma from her 'sweetness'. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Most of the stuff she sells can be bought, much cheaper, at TJMaxx, Michael's, or HomeGoods.

So true. A lot of this stuff is not unique to VPH and I have seen some of it sold for less, especially when you can nix the ridiculous shipping charges the Q adds.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

When she first started presenting I used to kid my husband that his girl friend was on. She would stand there and smile and nod her head in that knowing way. I admit some of the things she presents are cute, but agree many are not unique. I wonder if she does her own staging.

Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 Ford1224 said:

Talk about a phony (other thread). I always thought she was a phony. No one could be that "genteel" and be real.

Um, I am.

Respected Contributor

I agree with what others said about her being controlling. One time a few years ago she got rushing about the set and trying to intercept the host and ended up knocking things all over. She seems high-strung to me --- not calming at all.

Super Contributor

I've always loved VPH.

I, too, have noticed this time she was a bit more rattled and less calm, in part, I think because she's not used to doing shows with Carolyn who's getting more and more hyper.

Plus, she brought a lot more items, I think, this time, and yes, even her hair wasn't looking good, which gave me the impression she was on overload mode.

Super Contributor

On 5/10/2014 Allegheny said:

When she first started presenting I used to kid my husband that his girl friend was on. She would stand there and smile and nod her head in that knowing way. I admit some of the things she presents are cute, but agree many are not unique. I wonder if she does her own staging.

That's it! I've been thinking of how to describe that fakey, sweet little tilt of her head and look.

Regular Contributor

When she is on with Carolyn Gracie, Valerie has to talk out and up to show her things. Carolyn talks over her, interrupts her and moves her displays around..I just want to scream at Carolyn and tell her to back off and give Valerie a chance..

Trusted Contributor

On 5/9/2014 Queen Aud said: I was pleased to see VPH on today and she has always had such a ladylike, calming way about her. Today she's gone with the majority of Hosts now - over-excited and hyper!! I could always rely on Valerie to calm things down, but the combination of Caroline and the new VPH, it just didn't happen! Why do you do it?? From the forums I read, most of the comments are not in favor of this hard-sell on QVC nowadays!!

Maybe VPH sales are down? She is turning up the steam to boost sales. Or, she has been at the Q so long, she is taking on the sales tactics of the hosts.

Honored Contributor

The daughter of an old friend of mine, who works at QVC, says most of the hosts and models on QVC are taking diet pills and that makes them hyper. She said when they put on any weight the QVC management gets on them and they have to lose, so they start on the pills.