Respected Contributor

Re: What do you think of the call-in testimonials?

@rms1954 

I am curious what makes them helpful to you? I have never, ever found one helpful and I've been watching a long time!

Honored Contributor

@Catch71 wrote:

@rms1954 

I am curious what makes them helpful to you? I have never, ever found one helpful and I've been watching a long time!

Their review/opinion about the product.

Esteemed Contributor

When I hear them, and I usually use the remote, they seem to always go into their illnesses or accidents they've had.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The "testimonials" are generally pointless and of little value.

I think they put callers on air when necessary as time-fillers, when the host and guest have nothing to add about, for example, pretzel rods.

The on-air reviews are about 99.5% glowing and positive,  driven by the caller's delight  in the opportunity to speak with their most favorite host ever.

Honored Contributor

A company I worked for would ask some people for opinions about new products. Usually the opinions were positive and gushing. People will do this to be "liked". We in R&D knew what the products were really like and many of these products did not last long on the market.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

It's the best part for me and often entertaining, plus I'm sure it made the caller's day being able to talk to one of the hosts.  

Honored Contributor

@Elodie2 wrote:

There aren't nearly as many phone "testimonials" as once were.  At times the calls felt like the old game show Queen For A Day where contestants would try to out-sob-story each other for a prize.  

There was a doozy once involving a very tipsy, sexually provocative female caller and Mike Rowe.  It was a riot and Mike handled it with aplomb.

@Elodie2 

That is on You Tube along with a few of Mike's other calls.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I remember when LRobinson was here and how many calls she got. Rarely did she get a caller who didn't tell her how beautiful she was. She's the only host I've ever heard get continuous calls on her beauty and love from fans. I was not a fan but love fashion, bags, beauty, shoes, so I watched.. 

Regular Contributor

A couple of years back, Rick and a vendor were presenting a mattress when a call came in. If there was a screening, this woman told the screener some tall tale; the first thing she said on air was "You people don't stand behind your product." Was she talking about the mattress company, or the Q? It was something to do with the pick-up of the mattress. Rick tried to direct her to customer service, which she initially balked, huffing that she had already gone that route.

Rick and the mattress rep said that they wanted the customer to be happy. What else could they do? The caller had to know that there was nothing to be solved from ranting at the on-air talent. I thought she just wanted to feel superior by publicly venting. 

Esteemed Contributor

Every now and then you will have a great testimonial call. As others have stated the majority of them are cringe worthy.

I do not watch QVC as much as I use to but if I do happen to be watching and a testimonial calls begins I change the channel and come back later.