Super Contributor

Re: What do you guys think of hosts drinking alcohol while presenting?

[ Edited ]

It's presumptuous to think that not one child will ever see or hear QVC, regardless of age.  Whether it be walking though a room or hearing it while their parent is watching it, it's bound to happen.  And it does send a bad message whether the hosts drink it or not and they do drink it in certain shows. 

I know people who were hit by vehicles driven by drunk drivers and they either lost their life, someone else's or it changed their life forever. Also, there are people who struggle with depression or fighting their addiction to alcohol and just seeing that for one moment, could set them back.

Just because QVC sells something doesn't mean they have to promote it in the on air presentations.  If we are to be sensitive to the LGBT and minority communities/issues, then why not be to this one as well?  

Regarding the comments about, "subliminal messages" and "the power of persuasion" etc, they should not be ruled out. It's not an impossibility, on the contrary.  There are numerous ways to play with people's minds, even to the masses as proven by history.  Just the fact that shopping channels are even successful is certainly more proof of that.

"I never changed, I just learned."
Honored Contributor

I think 'they'  think it looks cool, hip, etc to be holding a glass of wine...nothing more, nothing less. 

Honored Contributor

@lilmadi wrote:

It's presumptuous to think that not one child will ever see or hear QVC, regardless of age.  Whether it be walking though a room or hearing it while their parent is watching it, it's bound to happen.  And it does send a bad message whether the hosts drink it or not and they do drink it in certain shows. 

I know people who were hit by vehicles driven by drunk drivers and they either lost their life, someone else's or it changed their life forever. Also, there are people who struggle with depression or fighting their addiction to alcohol and just seeing that for one moment, could set them back.

Just because QVC sells something doesn't mean they have to promote it in the on air presentations.  If we are to be sensitive to the LGBT and minority communities/issues, then why not be this as well?  

Regarding the comments about, "sublminal messages" and "the power of persuasion" etc, they should not be ruled out. It's not an impossibility, on the contrary.  There are numerous ways to play with people's minds, even to the masses as proven by history.  Just the fact that shopping channels are even successful is more proof of that.

@lilmadi  I see drinking on many,many tv shows. I see no difference between that and QVC. None at all. If anyone thinks their kids won’t be subjected to wine etc at sometime in their lives I don’t know what else to say. So I won’t. Everyone can live their lives and raise their families as they see fit, but don’t ask others to change what they do for you. 

Trusted Contributor

I posted this topic several weeks ago, I think it's ridiculous!  The hosts just hold the glasses, they never drink, it's just a silly prop which adds nothing to the presentation except making the hosts look foolish. News flash to QVC, it's annoying enough that the hosts spend 10 minutes of these joint shows talking about nonsense, but to add a wine glass as a prop when we know they aren't even drinking whatever it is, is just insulting the intelligence of the viewers!

Honored Contributor

are they for sure drinking wine. I don't know , I don't drink wine- can't for the life of me figure out what the wine thing is all about anyway. But thought it was not condoned on TV-- really, I don't care and never watch wine stuff

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a news story about all the hip moms of young kids who thought it was so cute to drink all this wine as mommies little helper are now struggling with alcohol abuse. Sorry for the run on sentence.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Either outlaw all references to alcohol everywhere and maybe even reinstate Prohibition or let this issue go.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Now Vanessa on Last Man Standing she drinks WAAAY too much.

I love my pups!
Contributor

Not fond of it, phoney acting, not necessary, too show offey.  what's the point?  Have been watching QVC since 1988.  Have seen a lot of changes and this one is just plain silly.

Trusted Contributor

I'm thinking it's a sales tactic and a way to try to get younger female viewers to tune and in and hopefully buy because of the popularity of events geared to women with wine, like sip and paints, sip and shop parties, etc. I highly doubt a majority of these women would even watch or buy from a TV shopping network. These are shoppers that most likely would go to B&M stores or buy from trendier online retailers.