Trusted Contributor

Re: What do you guys think of hosts drinking alcohol while presenting?

I think it's a silly prop, they never actually drink it! If they did they'd be sloshed after a 3-4 hour show!

Contributor

I think it is sending a message that people should be drinking...and it product placement  for wine sales...desensitizing viewers on alcohol control...or as m spouse says...they have to be tipsy to sell some of the stuff at the prices... and during the pandemic younger people do watch these shows....if you deal with closet drinkers at work you understand...I fear for people when they return to work....why not cool coffee cups....again. Seeing how much people drink ...especially people who feel alone...i turn the channel.....lemonade anyone.

Trusted Contributor

I think the play acting scenarios, the let's make believe where you'll wear this, be seen in that stories, and the wine sipping props are sad, ridiculous, and lack creativity.

Just show me the product, give me the facts ONLY, then move on to the next product. I watch solely to shop, not to imagine pretend fantasy.  Fri-Yuck!

Respected Contributor

I have no issue with wine drinking but certainly NOT when working and that's what the hosts are supposed to be doing.  They are not at a party, although they do spend most of their time fooling around.  It adds nothing to their presentations.  If it's all fake, that's worse and could be considered promoting alcohol. 

If they are presenting wine I would expect them to take a few sips.  I enjoy wine almost as much as Diet coke!

Occasional Contributor

i agree and i dont think it looks classy

Valued Contributor

Since many others have already pointed out that kids and teens are not watching…like ever, I’ll point out the hosts never actually drink it.

They just hold it and carry it around as a prop for a selling tactic. Just friends, hanging out, drinking wine and shopping.

Part with your money friend! We’re having such a good time.
Esteemed Contributor

They're selling an image they think will encourage people to buy the products they are selling.  It's just like the stupid stories they come up with for the product.  I generally don't watch those shows, but I caught the end of one the other day where Shawn was making up on of those stupid stories and I was glad I hadn't watched the entire show.  I don't need the host coming up with some fantasy about how someone might use the product.

BTW, when I opened this thread, I thought it was about the hosts drinking the product when they were presenting wine.  I'm pretty much a teetotaler and a Baptist, but that doesn't bother me.  

Honored Contributor

It doesn't bother me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Valued Contributor

I agree and just a prop.  Everyone talks about come Friday living it up.  I say at work I need a strong one when things are tense.  I drink a wine now and then is all. I talk big for fun.

My girlfriends and I use wine glass emojis when we all plan on getting together.  We have a glass now and then and no big drinkers amongst us.

Honored Contributor

looks like the same glass of wine week after week, they hold the glass quite awkwardly 

it's a dumb idea regardless of where one stands on the drinking/no drinking spectrum