Respected Contributor

Re: What are your grammar gripes?

My grammar gripes?

That I ain't got none nowhere anyhow.

(Heck, maybe a few mentioned.)

Denise
Honored Contributor

I don't usually criticize things but for some reason there is one thing that does bother me - those who say expecially.

Respected Contributor

it is clear that correct grammar isn't being taught - or taught effectively.  i hear dreadful abuse of pronouns when used as direct and indirect objects - " between you and I" (what?) even by supposedly highly educated people who have held high positions. i see / hear same daily on television used by people supposedly schooled in the spoken/written word via "journalism" or what passes for it today.

we are so besieged by bad grammar that i have now started questioning my own words.

...and this is but one example.

Respected Contributor

One that bugs me that I still see in sewspaper wedding announcements:   the couple have.    It should be  "the couple HAS"   as it's ONE couple.

Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

Not knowing whether to use “me” or “l” in a sentence. When someone says, for example, “She gave the book to John and I,” l cringe.

Even on primetime TV shows, the script writers sometimes don’t know correct grammar. 

@handygal2  Agree!  I was taught that you need to be able to make two sentences out of it........She gave the book to John......She gave the book to me.  That still runs thru my mind when I am faced w/that situation.  Yes, I cringe, too.

Esteemed Contributor

@antiquelover wrote:

I agree with all of the examples mentioned.

The lost of the English adverb: quick insstead of quickly

A big irritation for me is the use of that instead of who when referring to people.

For example:

I bought a car that has low mileage.

I have a friend WHO speaks very poorly.

I am looking for a teacher WHO speaks correctly.

Do not confuse that for a thing and who for a person(s).

@antiquelover  OH!!  That one drives me crazy!!

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

Not knowing whether to use “me” or “l” in a sentence. When someone says, for example, “She gave the book to John and I,” l cringe.

Even on primetime TV shows, the script writers sometimes don’t know correct grammar. 

@handygal2  Agree!  I was taught that you need to be able to make two sentences out of it........She gave the book to John......She gave the book to me.  That still runs thru my mind when I am faced w/that situation.  Yes, I cringe, too.

@Patriot3 : Yes! I learned that method too. And also, “She gave the book to John and (to) me.” You imagine the “(to)” in your mind as you’re saying the sentence.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Occasional Contributor

I should have went!  No, you should have gone.  😖 

And being addressed as "guys".  Newscasters do this repeatedly, as well as QVC hosts.

Whatever happened to "Good evening everyone"?  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are some boo-boos on these boards that cause me to click on that X in the upper right corner and close it down.   (I forgive the hosts on live TV who have to keep talking about the same items over and over while a producer is yakking in their ears) 

My biggest complaints are those who use "text" language -- for example, "u" instead of "you" and "r" instead of "are" or "our" (I assume they don't know which word to use, so they just type "r" since it covers so many)

"Your" instead of "you're"

"There" instead of "their" or "they're"

Mistakes do happen.  I'm sure I've been in a hurry and didn't proofread some of my own posts.  Oopsie.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

irregardless

(The -ir prefix is redundant.)