Esteemed Contributor

Re: What are your grammar gripes?

@AussieLuvr wrote:

@nana59   I almost wonder if not for nothin' is a regional expression. I lived in and around NYC for 41 years and people used it a lot. I moved to WI, and now live in NC and I've never heard it since I left NY.

i thought it was just a Rhode Diland thing.....lol.....i've lived in Rhode Island all my life.....have no clue where Rhode Diland is!! just another grammar gripe!!

Esteemed Contributor

@AussieLuvr wrote:

@Lisa now in AZ    I was a hiring manager and trainer before I stopped working. I also wrote, edited and proofread job manuals. It always broke my heart when high-level execs would read my work and make corrections that were just plain wrong. They made upwards of $200,000 a year and couldn't write or speak correctly! Smiley Sad

@AussieLuvr I report to the President/CEO of our company and have to transcribe his handwritten letters and documents. For the first few years I corrected his grammar, only to have him return the next draft with my corrections eliminated. Now I just wait for the final draft and hope he doesn't notice my corrections! Hahaha!

Honored Contributor

My biggest pet peeve is that nobody seems to know the difference anymore between the proper use of the words fewer vs less.  Maybe the rules have changed and I didn't get the memo, but I also still use that comma that many consider optional before the word "and" in lists.

Valued Contributor

Pacific instead of specific!
Honored Contributor

I taught grammar for decades and was raised by a strict grammarian. My list of grammar gripes is extensive, but I will acknowledge that iPads and some other devices use Siri as their grammar expert....😬

The current, cringe-worthy trend is saying “ I know, right?” when you are agreeing with them. 

Valued Contributor

You see what I'm sayin!! Makes me want to pull my hair out!!
Honored Contributor

Not knowing whether to use “me” or “l” in a sentence. When someone says, for example, “She gave the book to John and I,” l cringe.

Even on primetime TV shows, the script writers sometimes don’t know correct grammar. 

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

Punctuation mistakes bother me more than grammar issues. I am a comma nazi.

Respected Contributor

The show hosts talk for hours presenting merchandise...I know I couldn't talk that long without making grammar mistakes so I'm not going to criticize them. I've never heard a host say welp...if it did happen my guess would be Dan & Carolyn talking about their dogs.

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

The current, cringe-worthy trend is saying “ I know, right?” when you are agreeing with them. 

"Whatever" when disagreeing.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif