Super Contributor

Re: What are your grammar gripes?

[ Edited ]

@grandma2pkmh  @grandma2pkmh   Urban Dictionary has slang and slang-like lexicon. It does not represent good or correct grammar. I don't want to be hip when I speak, lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@AussieLuvr  Part of my job involves proofreading reports and proposals. Subject-verb agreement is a particular problem. The utter lack of the ability to place commas is another. Also, @Lisa now in AZ,  I agee with you about the placement of "Me." It usually happens in conversation in my world - especially with younger people.

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom , I managed a team of professionals, some close to 50 years old, and I can't tell you how often I saw/heard, "Me and x are going for a walk." I will admit that I didn't feel comfortable correcting their verbal grammar, but I never assigned them to give an oral presentation. And, I always reviewed/edited their written work before it left our department, hoping they would review the edits. One of them told me that she just uses the Gammarly app and everything was good!

Super Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ    I was a hiring manager and trainer before I stopped working. I also wrote, edited and proofread job manuals. It always broke my heart when high-level execs would read my work and make corrections that were just plain wrong. They made upwards of $200,000 a year and couldn't write or speak correctly! Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

i want to know what "not for nothin'" means.....my sister and her husband use this phrase all the time....it's like nails on a chalkboard when they say it.....

Super Contributor

@nana59   I almost wonder if not for nothin' is a regional expression. I lived in and around NYC for 41 years and people used it a lot. I moved to WI, and now live in NC and I've never heard it since I left NY.

Trusted Contributor

@AussieLuvr, I am glad we survived the work environment and don't have to deal with that anymore! I retired last December and am loving it. I saw a T-shirt that read, "I am silently correcting your grammar," and was surprised my team didn't get that for me for a retirement gift!

Super Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ 

I agree! I had a boss (15 years younger than me) who would say "abdominal" instead of "abominable". Oh brother, lol.

Honored Contributor

When an apostrophe (showing ownership) is add to any word that has an s.

Example:

Correct:    The boys played ball.

Incorrect:  The boy's played ball.  (The apostrophe shows ownership but there is none.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ  No! I can always tell when someone uses Grammarly!