Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I remember those shows!

You used to could watch QVC just for the "entertainment" value.....back when they had Boyd's Bears and so forth. And when they went to each state....now they're about how much junk they can import from China.......

Esteemed Contributor

I miss it too

Respected Contributor
I don't know for sure what happened. I do know that the QVC drove me away; I didn't leave them. I came for the jewelry, clothes, shoes and purses and stayed for the rest of their merchandise. I think they did me a favor though because now I've discovered a whole new world of good deals out there. Lol. I am aware that in the last decade, a lot of businesses started taking advice from the Wall Street analysts on how to maximize their profits at the cost of customers and employees. Maybe we are seeing the results of constant profit taking? They'll bleed it dry, sell off the assets and move onto the next thing. Just speculation on my part.
Honored Contributor

I miss it too, but everything changes. The public changes what they buy all the time ....

I sell on eBay and when I started I couldn't keep antiques, rustic vintage and anything collectible in stock! I would buy whole estates and could guarantee that between the three Antique Malls and one Country Store I sold in that all the items would be sold and at a nice profit.

Then the market changed. Antiques always go in and out but they went out in the early 2000's and haven't come back! Collectibles (Dolls, Bears) were mainstays. Now I don't touch them because I can't even given them away. So what does a seller do?

You put a finger in the air and change merchandise to what's blowing in the wind....

And to a larger extent I'm sure that's what QVC has been doing, presenting what sells....

Yes, I sure do miss the old shows, the 50/50 Tour was especially good... but how much would I buy today? I honestly don't know, maybe not near as much.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor
There's nothing wrong with QVC-- if an item(s) don't sell why would you keep it- some brands come and go then come back again New and exciting things are introduced in increments BUT QVC can't hold on to everything??
Trusted Contributor

I agree with the OP, QVC is not the same. I used to make sure I was home for certain shows, not any more.

The products are overly redundant, and the all day fiestas, really need to stop IMHO. I don't care what product lines they are for.

I keep wondering if the vendors are leaving and just going elsewhere?

Honored Contributor
On 2/11/2015 shoekitty said:

QVC used to carry unique items. Main;y items that you could not find anywhere. I think several things have happened.

One, shopping has become global. In the last 15 years the advent of computers in every home, iphones, laptops, etc has made us more consumer savvy. . We are a mobile society, we buy anything, anywhere in the world at any time. QVC, instead of looking for more unique items, cut quality to do their own brands. Higher profit. They let go smaller vendors ( made in USA items too) with unique products to sell common imported items at frantic pace. When you spend your time trying to wear people down, the returns will be higher.

two, they have dumbed down the Hosts to almost unprofessional carnival barkers. The men dress okay. But the women hosts have become too "homey" with their clients. Sharing so many personal details when selling certain items is just wrong, and tacky. There is a general lack of professional demonstration of their product and a working knowledge of how the product works .. I think they miss the mark with the core audience sometimes. There is a fine line where the seller becomes way too familiar with their client, and viewer loses trust. Trying to sell us items on the strength of "looking like a million bucks", or "being the envy of everyone" is weak when we want to know how the product will work., or even worse...what the product looks like inside or from the back.

three

they are boring. same products over and over and O V E R

four

they don't respect or honor their consumers as they should, and it shows. Most stores offer reward programs, a few free gifts with purchase now and then, or a decent shipping program. QVC appears to be just downright cheap. They could have a program for loyal, buying customers. Maybe earn free shipping, points, special perks.

All true... and we all see the net result... Frightening, isn't it...?

Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor
On 4/4/2015 msnicky said: There's nothing wrong with QVC-- if an item(s) don't sell why would you keep it- some brands come and go then come back again New and exciting things are introduced in increments BUT QVC can't hold on to everything??

Sure there is. For what appears to be a growing segment of their audience or former audience, it's become routinely boring and routinely unwatchable.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor
I remember I started staying up til midnight to see what the TSV was. It was so exciting! I bought a lot of stuff. Now, maybe something once a month. It's boring and I don't like their clothes. I buy way more from Amazon.
Valued Contributor
My last purchase from QVC was over a yr. ago. Don't have the patience & time to view same old stuff. My money is better spent elsewhere: & I don't miss shopping w/QVC.