Trusted Contributor

I can remember when QVC was the place to shop. They had all kinds of interesting programs to look forward too like collectibles that had dolls, crystal, figurines, and companies like Boyd bears and Jan Hagara. Where is the diamonique without the designer Judith Ripka? Use to be you could find all kinds of it at great prices so you could increase your jewelry wardrobe without going into debt. It was buying diamond simulants that look like the real deal, now a days you can purchase real gems in sterling for what you are paying for Ripka diamonique designs and on some channels real gems set in gold. What happened to Polish Stoneware? Now, if we want that kind of stoneware we have to look at Temptations constantly and its not the same quality. How about some Fiesta ware? Would be a nice change. Where did all the vendors go that use to be on in the Kitchen? Sundays you hurried home from church to see what was new. Today the same vendors and the same products over and over and over. Such a shame that they have veered so far off course to make a buck, its not the old QVC I remember where they were concerned with bringing us the customers quality and value for our money and so many new products we couldn't wait to order and it seemed like forever before we got it in the mail. I for one really miss it. Sometimes progress is not all its hyped up to be.

Respected Contributor

You have to learn with changing times and with the economy the way it is, changes are not good. All we can hope for is a new and better leader who can turn things around.

Trusted Contributor

The OP is right on the money. Well said! I have been with them from the beginning. The OP made me sad for the old QVC. I had forgotten all about some of the things mentioned, and I now long for the good old QVC.

I guess those things have gone by the wayside. Many of these lines were popular, but apparently not as profitable ( I am guessing) as the endless array of electronics, the in-house lines--such as Denim & Co., Susan Graver, Temp-Tations, etc.

I guess the collectibles you mentioned didn't make them enough money. Unfortunately, what we are left with is a QVC that looks pretty much the same from one day to another. Pretty boring. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Honored Contributor

I would venture to guess that Amazon is what happened to QVC.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor
On 2/9/2015 VaBelle35 said:

Yes, that's a big factor.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Valued Contributor

I think you're right. I never purchase anything from QVC without checking Amazon first. 99% of the time Amazon has better prices and faster delivery.

Honored Contributor
I loved the fashions by Bradley Bayou and Pamela Dennis, among others. I haven't seen them on air in years.
~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

There was no internet in the early days of QVC so anything shown was new and exciting and tv shopping was in the early days. Back then the thrill of buying from your home was irresistible as it was new and the hosts made everything seem so great. The things that were prevalent way back are no longer in demand such as all the collectibles. Real jewelry was way cheaper back then also. Even though some don't want to admit it, electronics are what is in demand and probably the better sellers. It's difficult to have new and interesting things when anything anyone wants is just a click away.

Respected Contributor

> There was no internet in the early days of QVC

Just an aside....Yes, there was Internet in Q's early days. Q started in 1986. And I was on the Internet then--part of my job was to manage my company's connection to the Internet. There were no browsers then, it was all text-based and done via command-line code, but Internet it was.

Honored Contributor

Amazon (and the internet in general) is what happened to everything. Remember going to the mall and finding lots of neat stores like The Nature Company / Discovery Channel store? Now the mall is full of mostly clothing and shoe stores or stores like Bath & Body works, because clothing/shoes and scent are still things people prefer to try in person. There are few places to really discover new things.