Respected Contributor

Re: What Did You Think of "Down Home with David"?

In my opinion they should hand the decorating show over to Dan Hughes. This man is a prowess when it comes to decorating. He apparently strings together 30,000 lights each Holiday season and gets visitors as far away as New Jersey to see his elaborate festive displays of his farmhouse .... I think hes the best decorator at QVC.
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:
In my opinion they should hand the decorating show over to Dan Hughes. This man is a prowess when it comes to decorating. He apparently strings together 30,000 lights each Holiday season and gets visitors as far away as New Jersey to see his elaborate festive displays of his farmhouse .... I think hes the best decorator at QVC.

Dan has said many times, “I am not at all a decorator.”  He’s a very nice host, but also remember he’s colorblind, so he has limitations at decorating, even if he wanted to. 

You cannot make a show out of Dan stringing thousands of lights along the perimeter of his house.  That’s not decorating, any contractor can do that with a tall ladder and blueprints of the house.  

Decorating requires skill in design, ambiance, mixture of textures, colors, arrangements, scale of a room, feelings of who lives in the space, etc. 

Honored Contributor

Alberti knows how to decorate.
Respected Contributor

Yes, yes and yes!  

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper - I agree, and Dan also specifically mentions that he has help (I'm assuming that means a third-party contractor) to hang the lights since there are so many of them. He is very pleasant, but like David, he is no designer—he just does a nice job of describing things and speaking in general about how they can be used.

Respected Contributor

LoriQvc, that's news to me that Dan outsources the Holiday lighting to a contractor. He has always said his wife makes him do it and he does it out of love for his wife and Christmas. I've never seen his display but understand it contains 30,000 lights. Hes a true Marlboro Man jack of all trades kind of guy. I'm sure he is cherished by his wife.
Frequent Contributor

I can't watch him. Did he do a happy dance for the ladder? Strange for a grown man.

Valued Contributor

Happy dance does a lot of strange things

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Orphanannoe1, I believe the "Happy Dance" is a sales schrick. I'd be curious if this man behaves like this in restaurants. I think the powers that be at the Q tell him to do those dances because they have seen a correlation with increased sales when he dances. He is a grown man and must feel embarrased being told to act childish on air.
Honored Contributor

This show needs to be improved or just go away.  I think QVC knows David is very popular so he can sell anything.  He is a good salesman, but what they have for him to present is old, and the same we have seen on many other shows.   I quit watching.