Honored Contributor

Re: What Did You Think of "Down Home with David"?

I like David but this show is just another boring same old, same old, show with a host's name in the title. 

Valued Contributor

I could watch David all day and not need to buy a thing.   I would love to know him as a personal friend.  You know he is a GREAT friend, and GOOD man.

Occasional Contributor

David was wonderful - professional and warm as always.  However, the initial At Home with David show, other than David himself, was a bust.  What a disappointment.

Same repetetive products (I don't have QVC on very often and the products were even repeats to me), the humidifier twice in the same show?  Ther was absolutely nothing interesting about this show to make me return.

The potential of this show with David as a host is really missing the boat.  Let David shine introducting some uniquie kitchen/home/decor products and/or ideas (i.e. how to's). 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bhvbum wrote:

QVC knows what they’re doing, most of their customers only get on and spend 10 to 15 minutes and there are enough other options like QVC2 to turn to if they don’t like what they see.

Better than 50% of their sales are from their websites, not the TV channel. Only about 20% of their customers actually sit down and watch a whole program.

They know that David is a great sales person, and their suppliers are paying him and QVC to promote their products. If it doesn’t work they’ll try something else.

@Bhvbum

I dont think QVC knows what they are doing when their financial reports show differently and home/kitchen were down in sales....Not even David saved these categories last year, and selling the same repetitive products this year isn't going to change things no matter who the sales person is....if customers dont want the product they aren't going to buy it.....QVC  keeps trying THE SAME THINGS---new show titles and hosts with same merchandise, and even with online ordering, their revenues aren't growing....we all know what the definition of insanity is....doing the same thing, but expecting different results....

Even a popular product reaches a sales saturation point ....

P.S. And sometimes QVC and Q2 are showing the SAME EXACT PRODUCT AT THE SAME EXACT TIME! How's that for innovation!  I Immediately flip the channel or check the Program Guide and completely ignore QVC

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Its mostly hard goods; cleaning, general supplies, etc. I'd rather see more home decor (so its reall "Down Home With David") and not the same old, same old with a different name.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Toot1920 wrote:

I watched it. It was what I expected, a variety of different products. As with all businesses, they don’t have unlimited warehouses filled with a variety products. As with stores, products are seasonal and clearance items. I wonder what “new” and “different “ products that everyone wants to see? I agree that most TSV’s don’t need the constant on air presence but I’m sure that QVC bought so many of the items that they need to sell and get rid of their inventory. Personally, I hate when the TSV is anything fashion (other than some handbags), skin care or makeup, jewelry, cleaning supplies or items for cleaning.   I do like longer presentations of some electronics because there are a lot of questions that most people have that they answer. The format could be altered from the typical shopping show. But, I guess, ultimately they are a shopping channel and they want the consumer to purchase as many products as possible. Persistence can pay off. 

@Toot1920

QVC can find the new and unique products where other retailers seem to find them there's always a new trend in home accessories/decor ...There are new innovative products I see on websites and even catalogs. ( didnt David go to a trade show awhile back)...All QVC needs to do is look around...

Their buyers seem to select the same things!  For example how many vendors do we need selling lanterns, is it necessary to have Argan Oil and It Cosmetics every single weekend. QVC's persistence BORES US and customers turn away and dont watch nor buy...

For example when I visit a Home Goods Hobby Lobby, Pier 1 , Kirkland's, Target, Stein Mart, Kohl's store or website I see something new whether in store or online....QVC's advantage is TV where they can show and demonstrate a product, yet they dont use it to their advantage...show some of the other products they have in their warehouse, find new manufacturers that want to show off their merchandise.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

One of the issues is probably volume.  If QVC is to air an item I think they want a fairly large inventory, and not every vendor is able to produce in that quantity.  I think that's why a number of things in inventory are never aired:  the stock just isn't sufficient to warrant an on air showing.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

One of the issues is probably volume.  If QVC is to air an item I think they want a fairly large inventory, and not every vendor is able to produce in that quantity.  I think that's why a number of things in inventory are never aired:  the stock just isn't sufficient to warrant an on air showing.

That's an excellent point, @Johnnyeager

I wonder if, instead of spending a lot of time on each item, a lesser amount of time could be alloted to each or even just some items, and that might allow for more variety.  

That being said, I found "home," much less "down home," to be distinctly missing from this new show.  As many have mentioned, a little more set dressing and/or background "comfort" props would have helped.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

This week, David has promised there will be six new items in the show, so I may tune in one more time to see if any other changes have been made...

Super Contributor

Sad to say it was just another showcase for products that have been presented many times. Down Home With David should be more like You're Home With Jill.