Honored Contributor

Re: Watching HSN more & more

As far as watching as in actually paying attention with the sound on, not very much on any shopping channel. There are very rare shows I tune in for. When I'm doing something else and just want the TV on for background, I cycle between QVC, HSN, Evine, JTV and LC, the latter tIwo only when I'm totally bored.

I tend to buy things I have a need for rather than things I just want. I don't do clothing, cosmetics or handbags and the only shoes I buy are Vionics.  Both QVC and HSN have handy-gadget type items I purchase, but HSN usually has slightly more unique products and more value.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I've pretty much quit watching most of the shows that any shopping channel have.  I totally love jewelry but the offerings that all the channels have are really expensive and have very little metal content other than the hybrid metals like Bronzo, silicone-filled, etc.  Most stones are rather inferior or the tendency to use faux stones or coated or dyed quartz seems to be a big thing right now. With high prices in the mix,  I have so much fashion jewelry and I just decided other than Carolyn's items, which tend to be substantial, I don't need anymore jewelry. 

I tend to only tape and watch the things that interest me and though I'll check in and see what they are offering quickly, mostly I bypass the whole thing and say no.  I love makeup but want to test it and see it in person. 

Skincare is my weakness too and I have my favorites that I tape, like SSC on HSN.  I know SSC doesn't test on animals so I tend to stick to that. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few weeks ago I tried out HSN and also Evine because so many posters here on QVC were talking about those channels. I didn't stay tuned long, mainly because the quality of the channel didn't seem to come up to QVC's standards. By "quality" I mean the broadcast. I know QVC is produced in HD (high definition), and maybe the others aren't. To me the sets didn't look as pleasing to watch. The background on the QVC sets, whether it is a living room, outside, or a kitchen....it just is nice to look at.

I certainly understand that you are not buying the set where they are doing the presentation, but for me it helps to keep me watching if the environment is pleasing to the eye. And I noticed in those short little visits I made to HSN and Evine that the models didn't seem as animated or involved with what was being said. They seemed to just stand there.

Another thing I noticed and was a bit distracting to me was that they seem to fill the TV screen with so many boxes of information. It seems to take up more space on my screen than the vendor, host, and product all put together! Yes, I know....sometimes watching QVC the vendor stands behind the informational box on the screen, but that is the duty of the camerman/director to watch how they position their equipment. But on the other channels, there appears to be much more information on the screen than needs to be at one time.

As to the hosts, I didn't stay long enough to see if there was competition between them and the vendor for who gets to talk and for how long.......UNTIL I watched the Andrew Lessman presentations on HSN. I recorded a lot of his presentations because of great comments from QVC customers about his products. That was my first chance to sit thru several programs for at least an hour at a time and really see how the host/vendor interact. I must admit, the hosts on HSN were very respectful to him. However, he is so knowledgeable and gives such great information and advice, that I think it would be ridiculous for a host to interrupt him with their words of wisdom on the subject.

The hosts weren't hyper as some on QVC can be and I didn't feel pressured to purchase. They gave great information on the value of the product and the cost savings. For his particular presentations it was for that day/weekend only, so from that standpoint there was pressure to decide, but I didn't feel it from the hosts. Needless to say, his presentations were excellent....I bought just about everything! The hosts were wise enough to let him do his thing, only interjecting from time to time what the prices were.

If the hosts for the majority of their shows are as respectful as these were for his presentations, then I can see the draw for customers to jump ship and leave QVC. And if they have products you like, I can understand the draw there too. But for the things I have purchased from QVC (and it has been a lot....from skin products to clothes to garage items to hair products, etc.), I have not found it to be more expensive than if I went to the store in our area and purchased the same thing. Maybe I've just lucked out.

I continue to watch QVC when I know there is something I would be interested in coming on. I order by phone so I don't need to leave the room to get to my computer in another area of the house. And I enjoy the information that so many of you give on the forum. All very helpful and things that make me think outside the box sometimes.

And even though there are hosts that irritate me when they talk over the vendor  (but some who are truly wonderul!), and even though it regularly seems to be the same products shown with not a lot of new things that interest me, I feel very comfortable being a QVC customer and appreciate that I find many things that interest me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GinaV24 wrote:

Due to their limited product lines, annoying repetitive programming, inconsistent sizing & higher costs for products & return shipping and the fact that there are too many hosts that I have developed a limited tolerance for, well, I've taken the advice that so many posters have urged on those of us who have voiced anything other than total QVC approval, I changed the channel.

See now Gina, all those suggestions finally paid off... 

Woman Very Happy

I've also taken to heart the suggestion to only tune in when there's something on I find interesting...  The problem is, there's almost never anything on anymore I find interesting... 

Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I enjoy HSN much more than the Q.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I have been watching the Q, since they bought CVN.

The early 90's were great.  Remember the membership # drawing?  How about the $2 credit around your b'day.

The hosts were a good variety, and the TSV's were not on every other hour.

I loved the humorous banter between Jeff H. and Kathy Levine.  

I laughed so hard when he forgot his dress pants, and was wearing his pink satin shorts.

I miss the "Once in a Lifetime" shows,   Craftsman tools, etc.

And I especially miss the Halloween shows, with Mario C.  masks.

Ahhhhh, the good ole days.

Trusted Contributor

World Traveler, you certainly touched on some very good points about the quality of broadcast, the sets and overall professionalism of the QVC experience.  I agree about the QVC models too, I like the interaction and the real-life sharing that seems to happen on QVC compared to the other channels. 

I also agree about Andrew Lessman when he is there.  He has so much to offer and great advice that its nice to see the hosts let him do the talking. 

One thing I do like about Evine, which I know many have said they don't like, is their watch show.  They have great vendors and hosts that are really great at what they do.  I really do love watches and their different designs and I often turn on the watch shows at night while I am in bed just to look and listen and relax.  No loud obnoxious hosts on those shows, a real plus though I miss Shawn Wilisie and his great personality in the watch shows for sure. 

Regular Contributor

I AGREE, HSN AND ENVINE are on more and more. I can not take some hosts anymore SK comes on and the channel is off. I love Issac but with her oh boy

Regular Contributor

I SO agree SK, appears and off it goes. Envine is getteing better and better

Respected Contributor

I appreciate that HSN allows certain vendors (such as Andrew Lessman) to do presentations without hosts interrupting every other minute.

I also like that many HSN shows alternate the hosts: having one present for a while, and then bringing in another to present during the next section. (The hosts are not side-by-side, chatting madly about trivia.That is very different from QVC.)

HSN seems to go about their business in a more logical way. Their shows are not cluttered up with nonsense.