I wish QVC didn't assume everyone owns a dish washer because everyone does not and those of us who don't would like to know how to wash things with out one.

Thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

Most of us learned to wash kitchen items without a dishwasher by having our allowance threatened.  Pretty simple.

Honored Contributor

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't know how to wash dishes. I never needed anyone to show me. Maybe if you're a young child, but Mom didn't let her young kids do dishes.

Trusted Contributor

@RubyLover wrote:

I wish QVC didn't assume everyone owns a dish washer because everyone does not and those of us who don't would like to know how to wash things with out one.

Thank you.

I understand why you might need washing instructions for some garments. Fabrics are different. Hand washing is different from machines and air drying is different than a tumble dry method. Proper handling is always included via a tag or printed information. 

What is a big variance in dishwashing by hand that presents such challenge requiring instructions? I have never seen instructions other than "not dishwasher safe" on some items. So you hand wash dishes or containers or vases with ordinary common sense!!

We usually wash dishes to make them sanitary for the next use. Pick your water temperature, Warner is usually better, select a soap form (liquid, bar soap) and a washing utility like a sponge, rag or brush. Have at it. Handle with care.  Rinse generously with fresh water to make sure all soap is gone. Generally, wiping dry is better than just draining and waiting for air drying. Storing dishes or other types of kitchenware prevents mishaps and breakage. 

Write in which items you need guidance to wash and we'll offer suggestions about techniques or products to use. It's one of the most common household tasks. Even grown men and little kids are good at it. You'll get plenty of know-how!

Honored Contributor

I don't own enough dishes to fill a dishwasher

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@RubyLover wrote:

Thank you.

It's not rocket science.  If it can be machine washed, the average person ought to be able to figure out how to wash it by hand.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Washing instructions

[ Edited ]

I would venture a guess that the only reason "dishwasher safe" or "top rack washable" is mentioned is because a dishwasher is the usual place that washing might be a problem.  Either with the water temperature or the dish detergent.

A lot of dishwashers will heat the water above and beyond the temperature that comes out of the tap--mine does.  That could be a problem for some dish/container materials.  And the detergent used in the machines is much harsher and stronger than the dish soap we normally use for hand washing.   Which also could be a problem for some materials.

I think you can safely assume that if something is dishwasher safe, it's more than okay to wash it by hand.  In fact, I've never heard otherwise.

But I also think that the only time you may run into hand washing problems is with something that is not completely immersible in water.  That often occurs with things such as blade attachments.  In that case, it's usually mentioned to not immerse fully in water.  If not on air, it will state it in any instructions you receive with the product.  In which case, you can wipe it down or wash/rinse carefully without soaking it.

Esteemed Contributor

How could someone not know how to wash a dish? It really is a simple thing - not rocket science.

Respected Contributor

@RubyLover I agree with you. I don't have a dishwasher, washing machine, nor multiple bathrooms, multiple cars.

I live in an apartment in Brooklyn, NY. 

Esteemed Contributor

not washing but

soaking some items can damage them. for one: Temp-tations

I'm pretty sure....