Respected Contributor

This topic has been complained about in a regular basis.  Today, it hit me.

I like to give my grown children an extra gift that I hope they'll use and enjoy.  

This year it was going to be windshield covers.  Even though everyone has a 2 car garage, no vehicles make it into the garage. However, the cost of s&h stopped me from placing the order.  What happened to the Q's policy on giving s&h breaks if more than one item of the same thing was ordered? I had 6 of the same item going to one address and the s&h was the same for each. 

I'll buy them elsewhere! 

Respected Contributor
So frustrating, especially when you find out shipping was recently free. I know it’s a turn off for me. I don’t get how people buy so much on line.
Honored Contributor

The getting a break on s/h after the first item, went away a couple years ago.

Honored Contributor

I got a couple of things when they had the recent free S&H day.  Most of the things I would order are either $3 or $5.50 shipping on the Q.

Yesterday, I went onto a different site to order some food items for Christmas.  We're talking a couple of small jars and a tin of chocolates.  Nowhere did they give any indication of shipping charges until you got to checkout.  For my smallish items (that totaled nearly $67), the shipping charge was going to be nearly $13!!!  And what's more they said the items wouldn't arrive until after Thanksgiving.

I cancelled out and figured I can live without the items.  I've ordered similar things from another specialty website and the shipping was free; got my order in three days.  Guess who gets my business from now on?

Honored Contributor

There are some gift items, relatively inexpensive in cost, which customers might buy in quality.  The frost guard is an example....something anyone could use as long as he owns a car.  They need some sort of special shipping category for these items if they expect us to buy quanities of them.  People need a break on those shipping costs.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I consider shipping part of the cost of the item. I add it to the cost and then shop around for the same item. If the total cost for the item here is less than the total cost elsewhere then it is a good value and I buy it without considering the separate shipping cost. 

Shipping items yourself can also be a shock when you see the cost. And while Amazon Prime can be very good they also raise their prices many times to include the "free" shipping. I find that to be true in many places that offer "free" shipping.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

I consider shipping part of the cost of the item. I add it to the cost and then shop around for the same item. If the total cost for the item here is less than the total cost elsewhere then it is a good value and I buy it without considering the separate shipping cost. 

Shipping items yourself can also be a shock when you see the cost. And while Amazon Prime can be very good they also raise their prices many times to include the "free" shipping. I find that to be true in many places that offer "free" shipping.

That makes sense, @froggy instead of just looking at the shipping cost. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Both Target and Walmart are actively competing with Amazon.

I just can’t believe some of the higher end products Walmart is selling on their site at excellent prices.  Most businesses are offering free shipping beyond a certain amount.  And they know they can’t jack up their prices to absorb the cost.  Even though we have Amazon Prime, I google everything we want to purchase to see where we can get the best deal.  Like we all do!  It really is a battle for survival for retailers.  I guess the Q doesn’t get the big, long term picture.  

Respected Contributor

@this is my nic  Last week on Saturday, 11/10, they had free shipping on all items on air and on line.  That would have been a good day to place your order.

Respected Contributor

this is just one of the many reasons why i shop at amazon more and more.  amazon prime pays for itself before i know it.