Respected Contributor

Re: WHO SPENDS $500.00 FOR A HAIR STRAIGHTENER?

Quality lasts. If people spend $500 on a straightener and it lasts for years it is a good investment. I am also sure that the straightener is much better for hair than a cheaper version.
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Beacon girl wrote:
Wow! A lot of nasty comments ! Always amazes
me!

Many of us are practical. In an unstable economy which we are living in, this purchase is reckless. 

@Reever  - Do you realize that everyone's financial situation and needs are different?   It may not be practical for you, but that doesn't mean it's not practical for everyone else.  

Honored Contributor

@PatriciaG wrote:

@Lipstickdiva   - sorry - I happen to love my Dyson vacuum.  Has lasted me over 10 years and will buy again if I need to.

I have two Dyson vacuums.  One is an upright Animal and the other is a cordless stick.  Both are well over ten years old and work very well!

Honored Contributor

@ZipItKaren wrote:
This reminds me of a great Aunt I had who we would always have to go pick up and bring to the house for holiday dinners. She’d ask where you bought your shoes, and when you’d say Bloomingdales, she’d say, “Oh, pardon me! I got mine at Walmart, and mine are nicer and were definitely cheaper.” You’d put a filet mignon in front of her at Christmas dinner, and she’d berate my mother insisting that strip steak was on sale at the local market that week, and she should have bought that. I think when you’re like my great Aunt and grew up not having much and stayed that way for your entire life, you develop a kind of defense mechanism where you make yourself feel better about having little by trying to criticize and make others who have more look foolish or wasteful.

@ZipItKaren I know people like that and used to be friends with one but no longer.  Couldn't stand the constant negative criticism.

I agree that it's probably a defense mechanism to boost themselves up by demeaning others.

Respected Contributor

ZipItKaren I know people like your great aunt. I learned not to tell people what I spend on household appliances or repairs because all I would get is "You spent that much on xy and z. I would never spend that much money on that, etc." It does get annoying after a while listening to so much negativity.
Valued Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Unfortunatly I just got my hair cut quite short so this won't work for me.  I do have the Dyson hair dryer which is wonderful.  Made a big difference in my hair.  Dries my hair in less than 1/2 the time and doesn't dry it out.  I was mocked when I purchased because of the cost.  I bought my DD and GD the Dyson Airwrap for Christmas in 2019 and they both use it and love it.  Again. didn't let the name calling and rude comments bother me.  To each their own. 

Well said! I also have a Dyson hair dryer and Dyson Airwrap. I bought the Airwrap and loved it. I bought a Dyson dryer for traveling. I am happy with both Dyson hair tools and feel they are well worth the money. I will buy a Dyson straightner when my GHD straightner dies. Everytime a Dyson hair tool is a TSV, the forum explodes with name-calling and judgment. Like you, I ignore the comments but i do get a good laugh from them. 

Trusted Contributor

@Mom2Dogs

I just bought a Foxybae from TJMAXX. $30
My stylist uses a GHD that's $200. This Foxybae gives my an identical look and I can't find anything about it I don't like and I've had several flat irons.
It also comes with 2 hair clips and the hot bag for storage. Best of all, the plates will lock together when not in use. Foxybae rose gold styler.
Do a search. It gets great reviews and costs much more every where else
Respected Contributor

@BabyYoda wrote:

The people that have money to burn. Same with Dyson vacuums. Overpriced. A friend of mine returned hers as it didn't do what it said it would and it was very expensive. 

@BabyYoda 

I wouldn't spend $500 for that hair tool, but I disagree with you about the Dyson!  Yes, it is expensive.  My issue with it is that it hurts my back to push it around.  But as far as performance, never had anything like it.

I have pets, so I do a LOT of vacuuming.  I have bought many of them.  I had previously been using an Oreck.  Nice for weight, but doesn't compare with Dyson.  I vacuumed the carpet with the Oreck when the Dyson came.  Then I vacuumed with the Dyson.  My carpet was like SHADES lighter after using the Dyson.  We have to empty the cannister A LOT, which means it is picking everything up.

Don't like the price, but nothing has ever worked better for me.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Everyone is entitled to post comments here with their opinions. Some people just enjoy making snide comments to them. It is uncalled for and in very poor taste. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the OP stating her opinion.  

@RetRN  Your post is right on target.  I have no problem with anyone stating their opinion as long as they stick to their opinion.  My problem is when they start with the demeaning comments toward others.  And that goes for just about everything Q sells. This is a hot button for me.

I worked like a dog for over 30 years as an ER Head nurse, I had to take patients because I had no staff, All of my life I wanted a Louis Vuitton bag. When I worked I couldn'[t justify the cost. After I retired you bet I got one. It was a present to myself.  If you can afford a splurge that will make you happy then do it. Life is too darn short.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some rude comments here.  Yes, your own opinions.  Yes, the person that wants one. Years ago I bought a T3 hair dryer here.  Saved me at least 30 minutes a day drying my hair.  I paid near 275 probably  but dried my hair in 5 minutes vs 35, and it saved ME time daily.  It finally died last year, I think it lasted about 10 or 11 years.  People spend their own money the way THEY choose to spend it.  

Many people here I can guarantee you can spend 500 in a month or more getting 10 $50 items.  Doesn’t make them stupid.  This goes on with every high ticket item the Q sells.  Those who ordered it, enjoy!