Honored Contributor

Re: WATCHING THE PRICES RISE

@Dinaki wrote:

...and some of you want to have the clothing made here. What you would then say, when you could only window shopping?

Do you think the prices will be lower or even the same?

@Dinaki If we make an effort to buy USA made clothing, we don't have the decluttering problems we have and might have better quality clothing, and less unemployment in this country.  So I'd think there are some advantages to that scenario. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner not a problem whatsover what you are saying

Go to Ralph Lauren, purchase a t-shirt for 98 dollars (that's made in US) and you are all good.

Its you money people, what do I know?

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@pripirt Since you're the original poster I am posting this for you and all others.  Fom the WSJ 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-tariffs-will-have-bigger-impact-on-womens-clothing-than-mens-115656...

@Teddixat 

But the Tarriffs dont just apply to QVC....other retailers pay them too, yet their price increases are very modest maybe $3 to $4 and certainly NOT the jump in price that we've seen for QVC apparel....and apparently QVC's  apparel sales have been declining since 2018....customers are finding better prices elsewhere...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

@Sooner not a problem whatsover what you are saying

Go to Ralph Lauren, purchase a t-shirt for 98 dollars (that's made in US) and you are all good.

Its you money people, what do I know?

@Dinaki It is money, RL is a designer brand that will always be higher no matter where it's made.  So that's not a great example.

And it is also about supporting the USA and the people here, and yes, it's worth money to me.  I'd rather pay more for something they made and donate less to help unemployed people here in this country.  And help our economy and what we can produce!  Absolutely! 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner that's all good then, start saving a lot as you will need those dollars.

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MomCat wrote:

Prices are mostly on the high side on these shopping channels, but every so often they decide to compete on items.  I was thinking I heard QVC and HSN were changing their business model to sell in an upper priced market.  It appears they are doing it.  I've been thinking for awhile they are overpriced on clothing and shoes.  I rarely purchase those items here.  I totally agree with the OP about QVC food prices.  Wow.  No interest in any of that for me.  Be careful what you wish for on USA made.  I'm all for it as long it doesn't involve union jobs.  That drives the price up unnecessarily.  The way I see it, it will take years and years to undo the current manufacturing.  Only thing I'm wanting to see happen quickly is drug and supplement manufacturing.  Hopefully, something can be worked out on those prices.

@MomCat 

What the QVC Execs are doing just doesnt sense switching their strategy to sell to the higher priced market....Dont they realize that the retailers that are already doing this are in financial trouble ans some  are even filing or have filed bankruptcy---Retailers like Lord & Taylor, Nordstroms,  J.Crew, Chicos,  Kering (parent company of Gucci), Neiman Marcus, Abercrombie & Fitch....And their struggles began several years before the pandemic....SMH!!! 

Totally agree with you about the Unions and prices of U.S. Goods....thats what drove companies to China and other countries in the first place...For example, some union workers wanted $50 an hour in the auto industry, and outrageous hourly wages in other industries as well.... Woman Frustrated  Thats what puzzled me about the virus cases at the meat plants --- they are run by unions, yet they didnt fight for protective gear for their employees....????  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@DinakiI'm pretty sure you can find a $98 tee shirt in the USA that was manufactured elsewhere.  Might as well be home grown if you're going to pay that anyway.  

Trusted Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

...and some of you want to have the clothing made here. What you would then say, when you could only window shopping?

Do you think the prices will be lower or even the same?

I would then say that we can all do with less clothing, etc, & more people would have jobs.

Honored Contributor

@Dinaki wrote:

@Sooner that's all good then, start saving a lot as you will need those dollars.

@Dinaki No, I won't need those dollars.  More US citizens will have jobs, pay more taxes, buy things, and help our economy which helps all of us.

I am quite happy to not buy so much cheap stuff I really don't need and to pitch in and help bring back decent jobs for middle class America.  It's about helping my neighbors, cities, small towns and fellow citizens.  

It's little to ask of me.  As they say a rising tide lifts all ships and to me to help get more jobs back here is a great cause. 

I lived where factories made appliances and clothing and they are gone now and I saw what it did to my friends families when they moved the jobs out of the country.

I know what can happen if they come back.  And I know a lot of people aren't invested in what happens to these smaller cities and towns in this country.  But then a lot of us are! 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind.