Super Contributor

I think with her charming personality she works best with people who let her do her job and they just chime in CALMLY with questions about the creations etc.
Once she is paired with people who are hyperactive and are obsessed with looking at themselves and grinning at the monitor, her relaxed charm is disrupted as is the whole presentation. 
For me, a lot of it is about being respectful to the vendor. Let them talk about their product because they know it a lot better than the hosts do.

Honored Contributor

@TCMits   How much do you think that would increase her sales?   For me, not at all.

Respected Contributor

@TCMits wrote:

After watching Valarie the last two seasons she's been on, my suggestion is that she only be paired with male hosts.  It seems to me that the female hosts tend to compete with her for talk time while the male hosts take a step back and let Valarie do what she does best.  

This is an opinion board, and your opinion is just as welcome as anyone, so don't let it bother you if some disagree. Welcome to the board. I'm sure a lot of people agree with you, say what you want anytime you feel like it.There should be no police on here.

Esteemed Contributor

@TCMits wrote:

After watching Valarie the last two seasons she's been on, my suggestion is that she only be paired with male hosts.  It seems to me that the female hosts tend to compete with her for talk time while the male hosts take a step back and let Valarie do what she does best.  

I disagree. I don't like her with Alberti. I do like her with Jayne Brown, Pat and Mary Beth. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

What a sexist comment!  The best shows I've seen Valerie do were with female hosts who have some artistic sensibilities.  Three that immediately come to mind are Jill Bauer, Jayne Brown and Pat DeMetri. They can actually offer suggestions for displays and not just be charming.

Exactly! I said almost the same thing. I loved her with Jill Bauer. 

Esteemed Contributor

Rick (who I rarely watch) works great with Valerie as does Dan.  She has her presentations scripted and when they let her do her thing everything runs smoothly, all products are shown and described.  Put her with most of the female fast talking hog the spotlight ones disrupt her flow.  Jane and Pat are the exception!

Lisa Robertson was the best with Valerie.  Their Christmas shows were spectacular.  Disclaimer: I do not follow Lisa since she left.  Jill Bauer tried to step in but IMO always seemed to be self promoting and in competition with Valerie.  

The best hosts stay out of her way and follow her lead.  Interject with numbers etc but leave the rest to the professional.  

@HLP  great post, I agree

Frequent Contributor

I think Valerie works with Rick the best (by far), with Dan in second place.  I saw her with Rachel and Jen and those pairings didn't work.

She clashes a bit with Albertil, lol.  I still remember a time when he kept changing things around and she would go back and move them back to the way she had it set up originally, and was clearly getting annoyed.  

Alberti is the only one who seems to connect with Martha Stewart, though.

Honored Contributor

Re: Valarie and show hosts

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife wrote:

I didn't really read this as sexist at all.

I read it as saying that the OP prolly enjoyed Dan and Rick with VPH more.

I actually tend to agree....I find their demeanor blends very well with her.

Dan is soft spoken as is she.  Now how Rick does so well with her, I can't figure out!  LOL

I haven't see Pat or the others Kachina listed with her....but the females I DID see her with did just what the OP said.

Bullying for talking time instead of letting the pro handle the presentation.

VPH IS a better host than any of the women I have seen her with.

@RespectLife 

I agree I think it has more to do with personality types that blend well with Valerie  rather than "gender"......Jayne Brown is also a very good fit with Valerie

Jennifer Coffee the other night wouldnt let Valerie get a word in edgewise and Jennifer's commentary basically went on and on and added nothing to the show....PLEASE LET VALERIE TALK AND GIVE US HER IDEAS  SMH!

@mspatmac 

And I agree with you about Jill too...she tended to take over Valerie's shows ...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

I also vote for Valarie with Rick!    I think she seems to be a kind enough person and some hosts she works better with than others, but isn't that true for all of us?   I always got along with coworkers but since I retired I really don't miss them at all.....Anyway,   I enjoyed her with Dan the other day who for some reason I don't catch very often.   The show was fun and entertaining.  Dan has a knack for decorating too, I would love to see his farm all lit up at Christmas.

@LindaSal 

I love it when Rick starts putting items together and he and Valerie laugh about a "decorating with Rick" show!  

Dan is also very good and enjoys decorating his home for Christmas and it shows that common bond and love of decoratring for the holidays that shines through for both and makes for an enjoyable show! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I personally don't see it so much as a gender issue but more of a generational issue. The old school hosts like Mary Beth, Pat, Jayne, Dan and Rick all interact well with the reps. They ask the important questions and respectfully listen to the answers, giving the reps ample time to talk about their products and explain the features and benefits. In a nutshell, the old school hosts are there to sell the product and support the rep. This new generation of hosts sometimes really seem to be there to sell themselves.

Don't get me wrong, there are some of the newer hosts that I like just fine. I just think it's a generational shift that lies somewhere between the corporate marketing philosophy and the personality patterns of the new generation of hosts. 
That said, I do agree that Rick and Dan are a refreshing change of pace and love seeing them paired with Valerie.