Respected Contributor

VIP 5 easypay, check your bank accounts

I mentioned this the other day, there is a problem when you try to process the VIP 5 easy pay.  Friday I placed an order requesting VIP 5 easy pay - they charged me the full amount.  I cancelled the order, called this morning to report the problem.  Frank said he would report the problem - he reordered it for me and AGAIN - the full amount was taken out instead of the 5 easy pay.  I called back and canceled the order and spoke to a representative to tell her there is a problem.  She told me the order showed it was on 5 easy pay, but she saw that they took the full amount out.  She said "You're the first call I've received on this"  I told her I don't think people are checking their bank accounts, that they are just assuming it is being put on 5 easy pay.  So just be aware.  She said she would talk to whoever deals with it and apologized.  So, I'm not using it until they get it fixed - sad when they offer you a special promotion and their system processes it wrong. 

Respected Contributor

Re: VIP 5 easypay, check your bank accounts

Other people have discussed this here. They are not really charging the full amount. Sometimes they do a "pull " of the full amount when they authorize. It then takes a few days for it drop off. And then you should be charged for the appropriate amount for the EZ pay.

If you cancel an order over the weekend, it tkes longer for the money to go back into your account.

.  I think the thing is you have to have the full amount for the item in your account. If you're on edge, it's kind of dicey. If you don't cancel, it usually works out OK

It all depends on your bank.

Respected Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

Other people have discussed this here. They are not really charging the full amount. Sometimes they do a "pull " of the full amount when they authorize. It then takes a few days for it drop off. And then you should be charged for the appropriate amount for the EZ pay.

If you cancel an order over the weekend, it tkes longer for the money to go back into your account.

.  I think the thing is you have to have the full amount for the item in your account. If you're on edge, it's kind of dicey. If you don't cancel, it usually works out OK

It all depends on your bank.

No, the representative confirmed they took the full amount out from her end.  I've never had them do a "pull" at QVC. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JavaQueen this is what happens with my bank all the time on my first easypay payment or flexpay (from HSN).

If I buy something for $50.00 and it's on 5 easypays, they put a hold on the full $50.00.  It will show as "pending" on my statement when I check on-line.  After no more than 3 days, that drops off and one easypay of $10.00 is actually charged and pulls from my account. 

I am talking about a debit card.  You wouldn't see any of this with a credit card.

I wonder if this was a debit card, did QVC actually deduct the full amount from OP's bank or did it just show it as a pending debit?

Honored Contributor

Debit or credit???   I wonder because so many times when these p[roblems arise, it's with a debit card and I've never encountered the problem OP is having with any of my credit card purchases.

Trusted Contributor

In most cases, complains such as this are due to people not understanding how banking works.

There are differences between authorizations and charges.  There are differences between debit and credit.

At some point, peole need to take the time to eduate themselves on how banking worse.  Perhaps take a few minutes to actually read the disclosures and fine print which come with one's cards as well as the disclaimers on a website.  At some point, we need to take responsibility for our own money rather than blaming retailers.

Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

In most cases, complains such as this are due to people not understanding how banking works.

There are differences between authorizations and charges.  There are differences between debit and credit.

At some point, peole need to take the time to eduate themselves on how banking worse.  Perhaps take a few minutes to actually read the disclosures and fine print which come with one's cards as well as the disclaimers on a website.  At some point, we need to take responsibility for our own money rather than blaming retailers.

@KYToby  I very much look forward to some day reading a positive, upbeat, and cheerful post from you.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Purchases made with a debit card are not authorized for the total amount, when easy pay is used. The bank does not even know that information.

Respected Contributor

LipstickDiva explained it better than I did. (thanks) I was assuming that the OP used a debit card. in most cases, a credit card charge doesn't affect your bank account.

The bank isn't the one authorizing the charge; QVC is. If you apply for an EZ pay/Value Pay, whatever, QVC will sometimes put in the full amount. They know what that is. What they don't know if it is a debit or credit card.

As noted by LipstickDiva, the full amount will "drop off," and the regular VP will be deducted. If you cancel something, you still have to wait for everything to clear out. There is no blaming QVC. But it is upsetting if a person has never encountered it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've never had the full amount put on hold either with a debit or a credit card from QVC.  It's only been the first easy pay amount. 

Last week I purchased 2 items from HSN.  They were running a free shipping promotion with a purchase of $75 or more.  When I checked my card online, it showed a different amount than the purchase price.  When I spoke to someone in CS, she explained that they authorize the charge and then adjust in 3-5 days, less the discount.  I thought that was strange.