Respected Contributor

I had never heard it used as a noun before David Venable started using it.  "Folks, in this packup, you will be receiving 2 pots and 2 lids." 

I just read a post here where another person used the word as a noun.  I searched under two online dictionaries and it wasn't listed even as a "new" word.  I guess it's one of those new words that one person uses and then it catches on and they all start using it.  Kind of like when Shawn started labeling everything as a "story"  - the color story, the pricing story, the fabric story. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Use of the word "packup"

I've never heard of the word either.  I prefer when hosts are more professional even though it's something trivial. 

Honored Contributor

In the context David used the word "packup", it sounds as though it may be a term used in the manufacturing or warehouse industries.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

obviously a behind the scenes term they are using on air 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even way back in high school when I worked at a department store, "packup" was a common retail term; I think some people simply use it as a synonym for "bundle" or "set."

(ETA: My best guess about its usage is that somebody decided it sounded better than just "pack" for a group of things.)

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy David, but I don't like the use of industry terms like that "out front", as in, selling to the consumer.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I think I heard the term "packup" first from David.  Of course it would explain a lot of the items he sells.  I did hear a couple of other hosts use that term after.  I guess they think it sounds better than "kit" or "set."    

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I kind of like it - Packup.  More interesting than the same old, same old.

Respected Contributor

The phrase "straight up sterling silver" is another one that goes over my head, lol.