Respected Contributor

I thought underpinnings referred to underwear.

Amy keeps referring to pretty underpinnings - even saying jeans are underpinnings.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Underpinnings?

[ Edited ]

Yea, I heard that to.  I thought she was going to showcase some Brezzie or Jocky under pants . Guess , it's her theme tonight

Esteemed Contributor

@FranandZoe  I don't remember the exact quote, but in the film "Ball of Fire," Gary Cooper (Prof. Potts) refers to the "rather uninspired? underpinnings of Miss Bragg." Miss Bragg was the stout matron of the bachelor abode of the professors writing a dictionary. He was comparing her to the very attractive Barbara Stanwick's Sugarpuss O'Shay. I think he was referring to her legs.That's the only time I can recall hearing the word used to anything like that.

Trusted Contributor

In its original meaning it refers to a foundation, particularly a solid foundation, either architectural or theoretical (ideas).  Its not really a fashion term so I guess it can be used or abused as the speaker wishes.

Honored Contributor

Amy seems to lack the basic understanding of many words an educated person should know.  Unfortunately, there's no way of telling her she's mistaken, even on her Facebook page.  So she duplicates the same error repeatedly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

An old fashioned word from the 1800s or earlier - think bloomers and petticoats.

I've lived 40 plus years and have never uttered that word in my life. 🤣 Only ever hear it on QVC.

It's definitely not jeans. But I've heard Amy use it to describe t-shirts too.

un•der•pin•ning  (undər pin′ing), n. 

1. a system of supports beneath a wall or the like.
  2. Often, underpinnings. a foundation or basis:to uncover the emotional underpinnings of an illness.
  3. Informal Terms, underpinnings:
    • Clothing underwear, esp. women's underwear.
    • the legs.
Honored Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

In its original meaning it refers to a foundation, particularly a solid foundation, either architectural or theoretical (ideas).  Its not really a fashion term so I guess it can be used or abused as the speaker wishes.

@Bookplate    When I enter underpinnings in Google, I get lists of lingerie stores, among other things that don't relate what Amy was talking about.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: Underpinnings?

[ Edited ]

Underpinnings in garments are hard and stiff structures like you see in the bodice of some gowns and in corsets called boning.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Bookplate wrote:

@Bookplate    When I enter underpinnings in Google, I get lists of lingerie stores, among other things that don't relate what Amy was talking about.

@Kachina624   How funny!  Are you looking under the shopping tab?  I just did it and mostly see rather boring masonry references.  I would think that given the original meaning, any reference to underwear would be to girdles and corsets with boned-in fortifications, as it were.  My grandmother swore by these.  Some of the hosts' language reminds me of Humpty Dumpty in Alice in Wonderland :  "When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean..."

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Amy seems to lack the basic understanding of many words an educated person should know.  Unfortunately, there's no way of telling her she's mistaken, even on her Facebook page.  So she duplicates the same error repeatedly.

I actually sent her a message on FB letting her know it was not "in this day of age" as she repeatedly kept saying, and it's "in this day and age."  She responded "Well son of a gun.  thank you.  I had no idea."