Respected Contributor

My iMac you made me laugh!!!

QVC is not the only one going the China route so it's not fair to single them out for that!  

Posters here speculate about how well QVC is doing and what's going on behind the scenes, but we really don't know. It is what it is,  and I don't yearn for the old days or get upset about pricing.   I'd like to see more variety too,  but the world is at my fingertips via the Internet, and  a multitude of shopping opportunities exist 15 minutes from my home. So QVC is just one of the ways I shop.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@lianne wrote:

I think the disconnect is the people on this forum are the original watchers from when Q was new and merchandise was unique to viewers who either couldn't shop or were far from good shopping. Over time they got used to watching and seeing the prices go up and quality go down. 

Q has gone the China route and the prices have risen, the Q wants and is trying to target a younger and wealthier demographic. People on these forums remember the "old days and old prices" and sadly they aren't coming back. 

The demo they are targeting now are the "hit and run" shoppers, who flip by and catch something they are interested in, not the older folks who sit and watch all day. 

I can see that what you are saying is spot on, but QVC is missing the mark.

Most younger people with money are buying status items.  All of the younger people that I have come into contact with, consider QVC and other shopping channels for old people.  My kids and their friends would not be caught dead in clothing or carrying accessories that were recognized as coming from a shopping channel.

I am a young senior and I feel QVC ruined the Dooney bags for me.  I have been collecting for years, way before shopping channels came to be.  I have stopped buying D/B bags because they are now a QVC item.  I would never buy GILI for that same reason.  I don't want to be known as a QVC queen.

Buying from a shopping channel is "for old people."   Buying from Amazon, Zulily, Zappo's (QVC companies) and other web stores are more appealing to the younger crowd.  

The way people shop is evolving.  Shopping channels will become a thing of the past.  Younger people will not sit in front on the TV to watch someone hawking an item for 15 minutes when they can just look up an item and click from the web page.  Free and fast shipping will become a selling point too.

It's just a matter of time when the QVC as we know it will be no more.

At its inception of course, it was the new concept in shopping, I think at some point, it will have run it's course. Then we will all be shopping from the next new concept in shopping. I have no idea when that will be, but I agree that QVC and other shopping channels are all on their way out. I enjoyed it, in it's heyday.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

I have to assume you are talking about a piece of clothing for "under $80.00".  I would have to see what it is, but I would probably agree with you.  Clothing isn't much of a value here, IMO.  But the good news is, I can very easily find what I need elsewhere. 

Trusted Contributor

@MomCat I'm sorry. Yes, it was a top during a fashion show. It was $79. 00 and something and the selling point was that it was under $80.00.  It was probably worth it, but I see fewer clothing items under $40.00 than I used to.  They seem to be at least $59 or more.  I just can't swing it.